George’s motorcycles - 2023

Started by George Williams · 121 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

The front fork does look impressive, George @chinesegeorge

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Thanks boys and girls, a few more bits and pieces added:

It again took me a couple of attempts to upload these pictures. Thanks for looking, as always, happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@chinesegeorge - Looking great George! I wonder if it will be possible to get actual LEDs in there... hmmm...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looking amazing as it comes together, my friend @chinesegeorge!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Stunning progress made, George @chinesegeorge

• Profile Photo

Hi Brian @brithebuilder, a couple of years ago a guy called Harry Brogan posted several builds with lights installed, but I think they were in the bigger scale of 1/6th. If you can find his blog on this site you’ll get the idea. He hasn’t posted for a while, but you’ll get the idea.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@chinesegeorge - Hey George, I'll have to look him up, thanks. I've added LEDs to some pretty small stuff. The Master Grade Gundam Barbatos I built a while back has 7 LEDs packed into it. With the nano style LEDs you can add lighting to some very small spaces. The only real issue is hiding the wiring. Ideally, the wiring just replaces the kit's wiring... and I'm always up for a challenge. I just have to actually get a bike to start on.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@chinesegeorge that is awesome! Thats a Ducati I dont have! I will have to search it out :). I wish Tamiya mad a 1/6 Ducati :). GREAT job on it

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@chinesegeorge: I stopped by to see your latest progress. Sure looks outstanding. A couple of years ago somebody opened a Ducati dealership here in Santa Cruz CA but it didn't last long and closed down. Now it's a weed dispensary.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Another really cool motorcycle, George (@chinesegeorge). Boy, wouldn't it be cool to add lights?

• Profile Photo

Hi everyone, @brithebuilder, @anthonyricco, @gblair, @rory, @bikequeen, @johnb, @fiveten, @en801. Some more progress on the Super Lightweight, the tail light and rear cowling:

The saddle and fuel tank:

The saddle called for a NATO black seat with a Matt red surround. I hand painted the red, carefully masked it off, and sprayed semi gloss black. But the red didn’t look right. So I masked off the black and over sprayed the Matt red with Tamiya’s new Pure Red, as per the rest of the “bodywork”, removed the masking tape and gave it an all over spray with Mr Matt varnish, finally looks OK, I think.

But, I had a problem when I came to fit the front cowling, it wouldn’t fit!

Anyone care to guess why?

Thanks again for looking, and happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Wow @chinesegeorge I have no idea why this build only popped up on my radar now. It looks fantastic man - such a good job so far, following closely as I have this in my stash.
    Flip not sure why the cowling won't fit, I'm sure you will fix it up though.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looks amazing, my friend @chinesegeorge! I agree with your chosen red: what looks right is right.
    No idea why the cowling does not fit, some tweaking is likely ahead of you 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@chinesegeorge do you have to spread the bottom part open a bit to get it over front part? Looks really good other than that

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

The red looks amazing, George (@chinesegeorge), it is hard to believe it is handpainted. Don't know why it wouldn't fit. The instructions don't show the instrument cover on the windscreen yet. Was that the problem, or did the instructions just remove it in the diagram to clearly show where things attach?