Next up - Tamiya 1/12th Yamaha Virago

Started by Cricket · 25 · 10 months ago · motorcycles 1/12th, Tamiya, Virago, Yamaha
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

@rory @fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder

I have aftermarket parts order for the Yamaha ZFR and the Honda Repsol, this seemed like an easy build to get started on 🙂

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

@bikequeen - Awesome Cricket. You're going to love the Top Studios stuff.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Great choices, Cricket (@bikequeen). Looking forward to the build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Awesome, my friend @bikequeen!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Looking forward to it, Cricket @bikequeen

• Profile Photo

@fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder

Thanks Guys! Made a little progress today, going with metallic red for tank etc

A lot of chrome on this but to do the gold they said to paint clear yellow over the chrome….I had my doubts but it came out pretty well

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Your paint technique produces really nice results, Cricket (@bikequeen). "Back in the day" I would have called that Candy Apple Red. A lot of extra work, but clearly worth it.

• Profile Photo

@gblair Really?! Thanks George It’s Tamiya rattle can Metallic Red over Tamiya Fine White Primer (which I hardly ever use) over black plastic. Thats it! Only reason I used the primer is because of the black plastic, any other color I may not have used it at all.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Great painting results, my friend @bikequeen!

• Profile Photo

The primer makes all the difference, Cricket (@bikequeen). I use white primer any time I am painting red or yellow. I use black primer if I want to do some pre-shading.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

The painting came out perfectly, Cricket @bikequeen
    Even making gold by applying the yellow over chrome, no idea that this would work, but it clearly did.

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Hi Cricket @bikequeen, sorry I am so slow in replying, but work has been hectic the last while and I get very little time at my desk.

Your paint looks excellent, and yes, the clear yellow over chrome gives a great result!. Seeing your YZF Yamaha build gave me such inspiration that I pulled out the older Tamiya version of the same bike and have started building a bit of a custom with it. I will post some stuff next week if I get a chance. Keep up the great work!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

@bikequeen - Looks great Cricket! The lighter colors definitely work better over a white primer. Otherwise it's just so may coats. The metallic red looks really great over a bright chrome as well. The gold technique is great!

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

@rory @fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder

Was a fun and fast build. All the gold is clear yellow painted over chrome. I didn’t believe it would work at first but I think it came out pretty well.

The badge on the tank was moved in, I had to paint the background black, then the gold letters….I couldn’t believe my hand was steady enough to do it.

Nice detail for a tiny 1/12th bike. It had 2 plates this Yamaha one or one from New Jersey! I went with the Yamaha … No offense to any one in New Jersey 🙂

14 hours all in 🙂

6 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

This looks SUPERB, my friend @bikequeen!