REPSOL Honda RC213V - WIP

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 204 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 12 months ago:

Having followed several builds in this Group, I'm hoping this will be a worthy project. I've picked up the Tamiya Detail-Up parts for the Front Fork Set as well as a Detail Set from Top Studio. The Top Studio detail parts have a lot of little pieces. Keep your fingers crossed and hopefully I can entertain us all.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 12 months ago:

A superb entry, my friend @brithebuilder! Great extras too! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 12 months ago:

Looking forward to watching your build on this motorcycle, Brian (@brithebuilder). Do plan to add some homemade resin parts?

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros. It is a beautiful bike.
    @gblair - I'm not planning on it George, you never know though. I've never built a motorcycle model before so I'm not sure what I'm getting into. If something comes up, it's always an option. If anything, maybe some extras for a diorama...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 12 months ago:

I know what you mean, Brian (@brithebuilder). I built a 1/9 Italeri German WW2 motorcycle with sidecar for this group. I had never built a motorcycle before, either. I had no idea what would be involved. Have fun!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 12 months ago:

This Honda is one of Tamiya’s newer kits and goes together beautifully, @brithebuilder. The front fork kit is a worthwhile addition in my opinion. Good luck with all those Top Studio bits and pieces. Looking forward to following your build.

• Profile Photo

@gblair - I'll try, no pressure right? The WW2 bike with sidecar sounds interesting George, I'll have to look for that.

@chinesegeorge - Good to know it's a newer kit and builds up nicely. I've been looking over the Top Studio bits and there really are a lot of tiny pieces. Should make for a good build no matter what. Hopefully I can get close to the quality I've seen in the thread.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 12 months ago:

What an excellent entry, Brian @brithebuilder
    All those extras will make it even more interesting.

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 12 months ago:

Great kit, great bike and Marquez a great rider. Does the kit come with an injured rider...LOL. Look forward to following your build Brian @brithebuilder. As this is your first bike build, welcome to the world of biking. I recently built the Kawasaki Motogp bike and it was the first time that I used the detail up front forks and it certainly builds a better model!

• Profile Photo

@johnb - Thanks John. I'm hoping that the extras aren't too tiny for my large gorilla-like hands. Could make the video end up more entertaining though. 😉

@rory - Thanks Rory, Marquez did have a few seasons of injuries, but overall, the dude is pretty insane. Lot's of wins before his first injured season in 2020. I don't really follow MotoGP but I did look up the bike after I bought the kit based on the color scheme. I'm more about the visuals than the history. Regardless, it should be a really fun build.

• Profile Photo

Hi Brian @brithebuilder, I am an avid follower of Motogp, and the fans call Marquez the Alien and they are not that far wrong! The things he can do on a bike is beyond human. You don't win 8 world championships over three different classes if you are a monkey. I hope you enjoy the build.

• Profile Photo

@rory - I did see a bunch of his racing factoids, I'll have to try and watch him race now. Those dudes all have to be beyond fearless for what they're doing at the insane speeds they race at. 8 world championships in 3 different classes... just wow! I do think this is going to be a fun build. I've spent the last hour or so going through the Top Studios instructions and matching up where things go in the Tamiya instructions. I think I have everything mapped out.

• Profile Photo

@brithebuilder, I think you are going to have a lot of fun! Top recorded top speed of a Motogp bike 364.4kph. Two men have exactly the same speed, Brad Binder (a fellow South African like me) on a KTM, and Francesco Bagnaia on a Ducati. Yes, they are insanely brave and fearless! .

• Profile Photo

@rory - What 364kph?... that's 226mph... I can't even comprehend what that would feel like on 2 wheels. That would scare the c**p out of me on 4. Ok, now I really have to watch these guys race.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

The engine parts went together essentially perfectly.

The clutch from Top Studios is somewhat insane really. I hope the detail is visible in the finished piece. The clutch itself has 16 plates inside, alternating smooth and toothed then capped with a couple resin pieces. Not really difficult but my big hands didn't help while folding up the verticals... I must have popped plates out 10 times while trying to get everything aligned. After getting all the verticals in place, I added a couple drops of CA to the interior of the plates to keep them in place while adding the first top cap. Getting the verticals to pass through the gaps was a slow process but it all worked out.