REPSOL Honda RC213V - WIP

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 204 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 11 months ago:

@bikequeen - I live in SE Wisconsin, just outside of Milwaukee... Waukesha to be exact.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 11 months ago:

Good evening, @brithebuilder, about gloss finishes. I wouldn’t know where to begin with “scaling down” gloss finishes. I know some people who apply multiple coats of gloss, sanding down each coat as they go, and end up with a mirror-like finish, which looks great, but not completely realistic to my tired old eyes. I usually give the model a coat of Tamiya TS-13, both to protect the transfers and to give an overall sheen, but I don’t usually polish it, but each to his or her own.

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge - Hey George, I understand what you're saying. So far, I've done a couple coats of TS-13 to protect the paint before doing decals, no polishing. I agree that too high of a gloss isn't normally realistic. Maybe a light polish on a sports car, but that's about it. Most of what I do typically ends up being weathered and beaten. This bike seems to stay pretty clean even during a race. I will be doing some panel lining after the decals and PE screw heads and such are applied.

• Profile Photo

Shift linkage installed with a bit more plumbing.
    Taillight and undercowl still need to be installed, other than that it's all ready for decals.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

Amazing progress, Brian @brithebuilder

• Profile Photo

@johnb - Thanks John.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Wow! Looks superb already, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 11 months ago:

Looking good Brian, I use Pledge to apply my decals and to over coat every thing.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@kallamazoo - Those are beautiful shots Allan. What do you do for decals over non glossy surfaces? That's more of a concern currently for me. The gloss parts are great with Pledge or Future, or even gloss paint... I may just have to mix my own semi gloss and brush it over certain parts.

• Profile Photo

Progress... and thank the modelling gods for MicroSet and MicroSol. These decals are being asked to conform to some pretty crazy surfaces.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Decals look great on, nicely conformed, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 11 months ago:

Thanks Brian, flat paint gets several light coats of Pledge before applying the decals, I mix Pledge in with acrylic flat clear to make a satin finish.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 11 months ago:

Looking great, @brithebuilder, good work on those transfers.