REPSOL Honda RC213V - WIP

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 204 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

@chinesegeorge, @bikequeen - From a small amount of research that I did, the Gloss clear should be fine over the decals, but in a situation like this where the decals should actually look like they're vinyl decals on the 'real' thing, no covering is necessary at all. If you're applying decals that should appear to be painted on detail, then clear, sand, clear, sand until there's no edge visible. Or, if the model is going to be handled frequently, a clear seems recommended but, again, from a minimal amount of research, it seems that many people don't clear decals. It would also be a challenge on a bike like this where there are decals on both gloss and semi gloss surfaces and there are areas of flat paint. I believe that between the MicroSet and the MicroSol, they aren't going anywhere. We'll see...

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

@brithebuilder @chinesegeorge honestly I’m terrified of these decals covering most of the model….I never have good luck with them …. I’m not a big fan of real high gloss model either to me they look fake, unless it’s a custom car or something

And if anyone handles my model i will break their fingers….just sayin 😉

• Profile Photo

@bikequeen - the decals are really well designed for this model. They wrap the surfaces really nicely. Just have to be patient and use MicroSol. This bike seems pretty glossy from the photos on the team website. I feel like the Tamiya paints replicate the overall gloss quite accurately.

So, if the decals are a slightly more matte finish than the paint, it will look even more accurate and you never have to worry about someone touching them more than once!

• Profile Photo

@brithebuilder ok I’ll take your word for it :). Another question if I may did you order the aftermarket parts direct from thier web site? I went to dealer sites in the US and they are all pout of stock or dont handle the full line….thanks Brian

• Profile Photo

@bikequeen - I bought the set off of eBay. The seller was hly-leon. I paid $74.16.

• Profile Photo

@brithebuilder the stuff those people make is amazing! I just spent an hour and half looking over the tutorials and accessories……stunning stuff

• Profile Photo

@bikequeen - I completely agree Cricket.

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great build Brian @brithebuilder. Looks like you had a lot of fun building a great model. It looks fantastic!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

@rory - Thanks Rory, it was definitely a fun build. It took a bit longer than I wanted, but the finished piece is pretty sweet.