REPSOL Honda RC213V - WIP

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 204 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 12 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @brithebuilder! The clutch is fantastic, Kudos to your skills!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 12 months ago:

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros! The clutch is an amazing tiny kit by itself. 22 parts in that little thing.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 12 months ago:

Hi @brithebuilder, that clutch is incredible.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 12 months ago:

Amazing work on the clutch, Brian @brithebuilder.
    Must have been a nerve wracking task.

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge - Thanks George, I agree, the Top Studio kit is incredible. They definitely have some talented engineers figuring out how to make these little parts so they are relatively simple to put together.

@johnb - Thanks John, I did have to increase the magnification of my magnifying glasses so I could see what I was doing. Also realized as I finished adding the alternating plates inside that I somehow missed one, had to dump them out and start again, but it all worked out. I was a bit nervous at first but as I got further along, I realized that none of it is fragile at all and can take some handling.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 12 months ago:

@brithebuilder WOW! Nice kit GREAT start…..welcome to the dark side 😉

• Profile Photo

@bikequeen -Thanks! I just made a hobby store run for a couple more paint colors - Titanium Silver and Flat Aluminum. The owner asked if they were the same color... Kind of funny. There are at least 4 metallics on the engine and they're all similar except Titanium Gold.

• Profile Photo

Painting on the engine so far and the needed colors. The Flat Aluminum and the Chrome Silver seem very similar, but the rest are quite unique. All the bolt heads will be painted chrome silver as well.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@brithebuilder …. Ahhhh but they are not the same! I LOVE Tamiya’s Metallic colors

• Profile Photo

My custom paint shaker. I do like the clear glass Tamiya bottles. Makes it a lot easier to see if they're thoroughly mixed. Also about the only thing my sawzall gets used for anymore.
    @bikequeen - Tamiya's metallic paints are really nice. I do wish Tamiya paints thinned with water, but they are great paints regardless.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 12 months ago:

The engine looks wonderful, my friend @brithebuilder!
    Great paint shaker, love the molded detail!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - It's getting there Spiros! Thanks!
    Let me know if you'd like a 'review' copy of the paint shaker. I do sell them in my Etsy store... well, I've sold 2 of them anyway. 🙂 Designed to fit a Sawzall metal blade with a Duct Tape wrap.

• Profile Photo

I always stirred my paint thinking shaking them puts air bubbles into the paint …. But I like ur shaker 🙂

And I thin mine with 90% isopropyl alcohol

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 12 months ago:

I love the Tamiya colours as well, but I mainly use the rattle cans - shake, rattle, and roll!

• Profile Photo

@bikequeen - Thanks Cricket, the shaker is nice since it can be adjusted for any of the small bottles from Citadel to Vallejo. I've never had a stirrer, I used to just shake them by hand... Vallejo are closed dropper bottles so you have to shake them, I never even considered air bubbles but it's also never been an issue. I have heard you can thin Tamiya with isopropyl, never tried it myself though... I have used both the Tamiya X-20A and Vallejo Airbrush thinner.