Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki GSX750S NEW Katana

Started by George Schembri · 41 · 1 year ago · 1/12, GSX750S, Katana, motorcycle, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Getting to focus back on this Katana, first thing I had to do was get some English instructions as I had a feeling I was missing a few details with regards to some spot painting and such. Luckily Tamiya re-issued this kit in 2018 and Scalemates had an English copy for download.

I had to do some disassembly to get some painting done.

After sanding down the red car bondo and adding some newer Tamiya putty, parts were smooth for painting - First coated all the white body parts with TremClad White Enamel primer and then with Tamiya XF-2 Flat white.

As I started painting the black trim parts with Humbrol Black Satin 85, I forgot just how long it takes for the brushed enamels take to dry and next thing you know I got fingerprint smudges on half the model 🙁

I now remember why I stopped building this kit, the white was very intimidating 30-40 years ago.

Some scraping and some tape masks and a quick recoat got things back in order.

Now I waiting a few days for things to cure fully and I'll coat all white parts with Future.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Things starting to look good - and NO SMUDGES!
    Boy - painting with white can be so stressful.
    Just wondering what would be the best way to accent the 'Suzuki' lettering on the crank case cover - would Panel Line Accent work?

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Solid progress and great recovery from the fingertips mishap, my friend @georgeswork!
    For the "Suzuki" logo on the chromed crankcase, a suggestion might be to carefully apply highly thinned black wash with a fine brush inside each letter and let dry. It might lt provide a slightly darker shade to the letters from the surrounding "gold" shade upon drying.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Very nice progress indeed, George @georgeswork
    Thinned (a lot) black acrylic paint might do the trick as well, in case of a mistake it is relatively easy to get it removed.

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Nice progress George! I have found if you primer with pink surface primer and then a few coats of white that the opacity is good. Model looks great though. Yes, I think we should change this to the "george" group. Three of you here already and my nickname my whole life has been George, so I can claim being #4. (My surname is Wilson, and Dennis the Menace's grumpy old neighbour was George Wilson, hence the nickname... just I am probably more grumpy than he was...LOL)

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@rory, I bet you cant guess my middle name... coinsidence?

George, the white is looking great!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Hi guys, it’s amazing how many Georges there are on this site, I’ve met very few otherwise. Great work on the Katana @georgeswork, personally I’d stick with the panel liner, I think any excess is easier to clean off being enamel.

• Profile Photo

(@rory), My mom says that my older brother Dennis was named so because of the popular TV show of the time - Dennis the Menace.
    (@johnb), I think I'll give the thinned Acrylic a try. The gold is all Humbrol 16 Enamel so the acrylic shouldn't cause any problem.

• Profile Photo

Well - no more finger smudges and looks like we are ready for the decals. I used more CA glue on this build than any other build. Great stuff , buy the bottle had a tendency to 'burp' out the glue every now and then and I was lucky that I didn't get any blobs on the bike. I removed the rear wheel and sprayed everything with Pledge and put the rear wheel back in place and added the front forks and wheel. I'm not 100% satisfied with the crank case lettering but it'll pass for done. Just need to put the windscreen in place with some Krystal Klear.

In the home stretch on a kit that's taken me over 30 years to build.

Come to think of it, this is one of my first Tamiya kits that I have completed since getting back into the hobby.

I haven't tested the decals out yet, so I gonna give them a covering of Micro Film just to make sure they stick together.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking great, @georgeswork, no more smudges. I’m the youngest of four brothers. The first one had four christain names, the second had three, the one up from me had two, which left just one for me. I think I got the best one though.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Looks fantastic, my friend @georgeswork! Getting really close to the finish line!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great result on this Katana, George @georgeswork
    Looking forward to the decalling.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George (@chinesegeorge), we were four brothers and one sister - 5 kids - 15 names used, don't ask me what they are.

Thanks Guys (@johnb), (@fiveten). I haven't decided if this is a keeper or a gift for my cousin, the cousin that I wanted to give it to all those years ago when I started the kit, but I thought I'd dress it up a bit with a display stand. I messed around with some ideas and made a decision. Test print and fit in B&W then final print in colour and place on a $1 wooden plaque from Michaels Art Store. Display stand is ready for a gloss coat tomorrow.

Still no decals, and now I might need a way to sure the bike onto the display stand.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 1 year, 4 months ago:

What a cool idea George! That's a great display idea... In regard to fixing it to the base, I have some thoughts (of questionable value). In my mind it comes down to leaving as is, securing one/two/three of the 3 points of contact, or adding an additional support such as an acrylic rod or stand to set it more securely on. Tamiya's Hayabusa came with a small clear "stand" which clipped onto the bottom of the rear wheel, allowing the bike to sit upright without the kickstand, as an example.

Looking forward to the decals!

• Profile Photo

Smart looking stand, George @georgeswork, not sure of the best way to fix the bike to it, though.