Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki GSX750S NEW Katana

Started by George Schembri · 41 · 1 year ago · 1/12, GSX750S, Katana, motorcycle, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great base idea, my friend @georgeswork! Looking forward to the decals!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

A nice idea to put then Katana on a base, George @georgeswork

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Thanks Andrew (@pb_legend) and George (@chinesegeorge), decided to go with simplicity and used a 1/8th" dowel painted white. Drilled a hole in the bottom oil pan and 'viola', the bike is solidly in place. I lined the black edging witht a Sharpie and Gloss coated it.

Here are the decals, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). So glad I used he Micro Film and the decals took forever to soak free and they had some minor cracks. The 'Suzuki' logos on the gas tank had to be touched up using XF-7 lightened up with XF-2. The reversed "KATANA' on the headlight cover just fell apart, I had no replacement so I just left it out and I don't think I can print a replacement.

Some minor items left like an overall gloss coat, then flat coat on the foot pegs and handle grips and attach the windscreen. Almost done.

I remembered that my cousin had a nickname as a young kid in Malta, they called him 'Trifle' for some reason. I decided to add a personnel touch and made an Ontario Bike License plate with his nickname on it - hope he gets a laugh out of it.

This will hit the Headlines soon in the next day or so.

Thanks for following the build gents, and thanks so much for the invitation Spiros. There are some excellent bikes being built in this group. Amazing work is getting done.

This was perfect timing as I found the kit just as the group was started. I probably never would have completed it if not for the group build.

I know that I did put it in the box way back when I had problems painting with enamel whites back 30 years ago, but he recent discovery of the Tamiya XF paints and using Tremclad as a primer made this a pretty easy build.

Just as I was thinking this would be my single and only bike build, I found another bike that I just had to buy seeing Spiro's completion - another Katana, the 750's big brother - the older GSX1100S.

I found this Tamiya kit in pile of other Tamiya Bike kits, they were all about $50 and for some reason this single kit was $19 CND! And it's SILVER - not white!

So maybe I'll build the 1100 for the GB and keep it for my own display case.

Cheers Gents!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Congratulations, my friend @georgeswork! What a superb result! Thank you so much for participating in our Motorcycles Group, more and more wonderful entries are seen in it!
    Looking forward to see your 1100 started and your 750 hitting the headlines!

• Profile Photo

A beautiful finish just before Christmas, George @georgeswork
    Thanks for sharing the excellent work you did on this Katana.
    Looking forward to see it presented on the headlines and yes, the 1100 would look great next to it.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great build, @georgeswork, really enjoyed following your thread, and, yes, please post it in headlines. Merry. Christmas.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great work George, I like your solution and presentation on the stand. The personal touch is great too! Looking forward to seeing you enjoy the 1100 build!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Your motorcycle looks awesome, George (@georgeswork). I always worry when I get to the decals on a build because they come right at the end and have the capability of messing up a lot of work. Yours came out great despite having some challenges. Well done.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Exactly George (@gblair), there were no extra decals for me to test so I just coated with Micro Film and hope for the best. If I could have crossed my fingers while soaking the decals, I would have - but I crossed my toes instead and things worked out okay from my end.

Thanks for following the build and for the comments everyone - Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), George (@chinesegeorge), Andrew (@pb_legend), Rory (@rory), Anthony @anthonyricco)

• Profile Photo

The pleasure was all mine, George @georgeswork
    She received her well deserved headline article.

• Profile Photo

The pleasure was all mine as well, my friend @georgeswork!