Team Suzuki ECSTAR GSX-RR '20 - Tamiya 1/12

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 221 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

After seeing so many beautiful motorcycles being presented by George @chinesegeorge and this motorcycle group being created by Spiros @fiveten, I could not resist to participate when receiving the invitation.

With no experience at all regarding motorcycle modelling I'm curious about what to expect.

Having no motorcycle in stash and my local modelshop having none as well, I looked around the net and finally settled with the Team Suzuki ECSTAR MotoGP bike from 2020. Not the cheapest one, but being from Tamiya I think it will be a pleasant kit to build. Being ordered in Czech Republic, I might need to wait a bit before having it in hand.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

What a great entry, my friend @johnb! This looks like a superb kit of an iconic racing bike! It is really great that you decided to step out of your comfort zone and decided to tackle a motorcycle. Not only your modeling horizons will be expanded, but, I believe, you will experience extra joy by building a motorcycle, a subject you love in particular (that makes two of us!). Thank you so much for this entry and support to our interesting "Motorcycles" GB. Looking forward to the "physical" entry of the model, as soon as it arrives at your doorstep!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Hi John @johnb, what a great kit to choose, one of Tamiya’s latest kits, I’m sure that with your modelling skills a fabulous Moto GP bike will appear, the World Championship winning bike from 2020 no less. I’d recommend you also order the front fork detail up kit from Tamiya as well. Really looking forward to seeing this. Happy modelling.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks, Spiros. After a submarine, this motorcycle will be my next non-aircraft build. Looking forward to give it a try.

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge, thanks a lot, George. I was hoping to find a model of my own Suzuki, but it doesn't exist. I will have a look for the front fork detail, although this kit was already quite pricey.

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Great choice John! As George said, world champion in 2020 in the very capable hands of Joan Mir... hope you are going to build it in his number. Look forward to your progress.

• Profile Photo

@rory, thank you, Rory. Plans are indeed to build it with number 36. A pity that Suzuki will withdrawal after this season.

• Profile Photo

Just received the message that my package has been handed over to the delivery service.
    Hopefully it will be delivered by next week. Eagerly waiting for that moment.

• Profile Photo

Tracking such a package can be very exciting, my friend @johnb!
    It will be great once you receive it an enter it at our GB!

• Profile Photo

Hi John @johnb, I know how you feel, I have to rely on the delivery services for everything, my nearest hobby shop is in Beijing, a two hour flight away, and if I went there I would have to quarantine for three days...

• Profile Photo

Too far to simply bring it a visit, George @chinesegeorge
    And even more undoable because of the restrictions.
    I do have some shops within 30 minutes distance, by car, but they are becoming rare as well.

• Profile Photo

Hi John @johnb, it’s kind of understandable here because it’s never been a popular hobby, but it’s a shame that local hobby shops are disappearing in most places.

• Profile Photo

Same here in Greece, one after the other hobby shops are sadly disappearing...

• Profile Photo

And she finally arrived. Feeling like a child opening his birthday gift.
    Something completely different than what I'm used to build, but not entirely out of the comfort zone since this bike still has some little wings to be mounted on the nose.
    I will share some pictures whne I start to unpack to box later this week.

• Profile Photo

What an arrival, my friend @johnb! The box art looks spectacular (so "Tamiya")! Makes you wanting to open and dig inside! Looking forward to see the contents and this lady to be put together!