Team Suzuki ECSTAR GSX-RR '20 - Tamiya 1/12

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 221 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looking good John, I would leave well enough alone, those tyre stickers had me confused at first also.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros

@gblair, thanks, George. Had a look at the bike again yesterday and you are right, the chance of getting it repainted nicely is very low. Still these 'home made errors' bother me.

@chinesegeorge, thanks a lot, George. This explenation will help for sure. Luckily there are ten stickers and only eight are needed, so I can experiment first. I do have to admit that I missed the explenation on the instructions.

@kalamazoo, thank you, Allan. I was surprised as well when seeing those stickers, a new experience.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looking forward to seeing how your tire logos work, John (@johnb). I have never seen them before. Most of my errors in a model are self-induced. I wouldn't beat myself up too much about it.

• Profile Photo

@gblair, same here, George. If there is something wrong with the kit, I'm the one to blame 🙂 I just consider it as a learning point for next time.

• Profile Photo

Confirmed, the other side, after removing the backing paper, does include the Michelin text 🙂

To be honest, the way to apply those stickers/decals is not that difficult. Following the process as described by George @chinesegeorge and all worked well. Results as shown on the following picture.

• Profile Photo

And applied the decals on the left side of the tryes as well.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 1 year, 3 months ago:

So far so good mate!
    I’ve got this kit in the stash, it doesn’t look easy.
    The best tip I was ever given for bike builds, thinly diluted Tamiya X19 smoke for a wash. I coat most metal parts in it, such as the engine block.
    It would look great in the exhaust tips on this build.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 1 year, 3 months ago:

So far so good mate!
    I’ve got this kit in the stash, it doesn’t look easy.
    The best tip I was ever given for bike builds, thinly diluted Tamiya X19 smoke for a wash. I coat most metal parts in it, such as the engine block.
    It would look great in the exhaust tips on this build.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Hi @johnb, glad you got those tyre markings on OK, you might want to brush on a coat of clear over them just to make sure they stay put.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 3 months ago:

By the way, @johnb, pretty soon you’ll be coming to the cowlings. I’d recommend fixing them all to the bike before applying the transfers, that way it will be easier to ensure they line up correctly. In fact I seem to remember that one logo goes over the join between two cowlings, have fun.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looking super, my friend @johnb!
    Great advice, my friend @chinesegeorge!

• Profile Photo

@richardmcstay48gmail-com, thanks, Richard. To me it is indeed not an easy build, but that could be because I never build a bike before. Thanks for the smoke wash tip.

@chinesegeorge, thanks a lot, George. Thanks for both tips, the tyre decals are indeed very sensitive without coat. Based on experience I can say that they do come loose quite easily. Installing the cowlings first is a good advise as well, thanks for that.

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Wow @johnb that is looking immensely beautiful man, excellent work, I can't believe this is your first bike build.

• Profile Photo

@anthonyricco, thanks a lot, Anthony. Tamiya is helping a lot as well, the kit is a gem to build.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Brake handle and grips together with control units mounted. Tamiya did some great work on the details.