AMT 1/48 Douglas P-70 Night Fighter

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 140 · 1 year ago · 1/48, A-20, AMT, Douglas, Night Fighters, P-70
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Thanks my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo

Second filling and sanding loop finished, with "Dusty" looking more homogeneous. As I am going for a closed canopy, I attached the aft canopy non-transparent part...

...then sanded it smooth, awaiting a tad of filling. Here's how "Dusty" looks so far...
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years ago:

Thanks for building and sharing this, Spiros. I’ve had an AMT A-20G in the stash that needs building for 25 years. Nice to see the problem areas.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years ago:

"Dusty" is looking mighty spiffy, Sprios. Great job as usual. Did the P-70 stash that life raft behind the driver's seat or had they done away with it by then? What's the word on that?

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @j-healy and @eb801!

John, from the so far progress, I might say that AMT Havocs are nice, solid, definitely worth building.

From a small research, it came out that there's quite a bit of aftermarket, if you are so inclined.

Building this kit feels like buillding an improved, better fitting Monogram twin engine bomber (OK, maybe the internal details lack a tiny tad...)

Eric, I have to research the life raft P-70 topic: if you ask me, I cannot imagine an operational P-70 without a life raft!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years ago:

Spiros my friend, looks like this will be one of your best projects to this date, surprisingly fast but a solid build nonetheless. The work around those exhausts is remarkable, really

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @holzhamer!
    it is true that the AMT Havocs build solidly and fast, especially the P-70 with the solid nose (and the all-black scheme).
    Might one suppose that, though I knew it was wrong, I deliberately cut the exhaust fairings at the start, in order to take credit for redoing them? 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Hello @fiveten What shade of black will you use do paint your nightfighter?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Hi my friend @lis!

Humbrol 21 (Gloss), or 85 (Satin) or 33 (Matt): basically whichever tin of them is opened! Of course, I prefer the gloss, as I do not have to apply gloss varnish for the decals! But all three work good. Gloss 22 tends to have a (very slight-ish) blue hue, so I also use it for my Japanese blueblack cowlings!

85 and, especially, 33 have the "feature" of being able to be sprayed in an uneven matter and I use this feature to create slightly "uneven" surfaces.

I am not into "panelling" with lighter shades, but some fine guys here do so and their advice might be helpful!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Hey Spiros, painting an all black plane can be daunting and even frustrating, as I’ve found on my shelved away bf110 project.
    Like you, I’ve seen and read all sorts of painting approaches to get a more realistic impression for such a dull colour, some include using several different shades of black available in the market.
    I’m sure you’ll come up with a great looking finish on this one

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @holzhamer!
    I have even thought of applying extra dark gray dry pastels!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 9 months ago:

thank you for your answer @fiveten !
    I will use mix of Mr Color paints. I thnik C92 and I will buy C33.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Looking good @fiveten!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

The engines received spark plug wires...

Thanks for stopping by!