Modelsvit F-82G Twin Mustang

Started by Tom Cleaver · 25 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Here's what I accomplished from Thursday over the weekend.

This kit is not as difficult as it appears, said I - until I got to the landing gear. But here is what I have up to now.

Mostly, just follow the instructions. The parts all fit, and the fit is good enough that the over/under for the aileron, flap and elevator trailing edges, and the dorsal fins on the fuselages, fit smoothly without modification.

Do the cockpits, do the fuselages, do the wings, do the horizontal stabilizer, then bring it all together. I only used some CA glue on the centerline of the lower fuselages in the area of the radiator intakes, and I think that was due to "operator error."

My only deviation was using Eduard seatbelts rather than the kit supplied items, but that was just because I had them.

This fits like an Eduard kit, but you still need to think "I'm doing a high-end limited-run kit.

The one difficulty is to make sure when you assemble the wing subassembly that you get the fit of the center wing part to the outer wings just right in order to get the fuselages to fit without difficulty. I used slow Tamiya Extra Thin cement there, and test fitted the fuselages to the wing several times to be sure I was fitting it right. The good fit in the end was worth the hassles.

The canopy over the radar operators cockpit is closed, the pilot's canopy will be open. You need to scrape the base of the sliding canopy about a 45-degree angle up to the inside, so it will fit right on the fuselage in the open position.

Yes, those photoetch exhaust baffles are a right PITA. I ended up not using the little piece of plastic the instructions say to attach it to, it just didn't work.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 3 months ago:

TC @tcinla - that's quite some progress. Is it possible to attach the radar pod after painting? And how much shelf space does this occupy?

• Profile Photo

@eb801 - I started painting this afternoon. The radar pod makes a good "handle" for painting the rest. The model is roughly the size of a 1/48 Beaufighter or A-20, approximately.

• Profile Photo

Here's some color shots of night fighters. You can see the paint holds up well.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Some shots of the main gear. This is the one puzzling area of the kit from the instructions. Looking at these, my "cram it in like it looks to be" and set with CA glue appears to have been the right move. The last shot shows how to position the wheel when you glue it to the leg, something the instructions don't say - I managed to guess right!

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Amazing progress on this very good kit, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Great work done during the weekend, Tom @tcinla
    Definitely a large Mustang.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Awestruck by your progress and motivation TC. There must be a good story about Twin Mustangs in Korea being the driving force behind this build. I live a couple miles from CP aviation's rebuild of Walter Soplata's P-82 E. It used to be in Polar Aviation collection with NACA logo painted on the tail back in the 80's. It definitely is a different bird and real under taking. Both yours and CPs efforts.

• Profile Photo
    Scott Linder said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Very interesting comment about the paint. I never realized that it held up so well. It's dirty on some airframes but no where near as chipped and beat up as I would have thought. I'm curious to see how the red decals look on the black airframe.

• Profile Photo

@scott4526 - the decals are superb. They WANT to settle in, only needing a coat of Micro-Sol. They are solid, no bleed-through, and they enhance the look of things (just decaled last night). This is a Quality Kit throughout.

• Profile Photo

TC @tcinla - those reference images are very inspiring. Let's see this bird with those decals. I'm almost ready to break a credit card out of my "no more models" security safe and order one of these based on what I'm seeing here and your high praise for this kit.

• Profile Photo

@eb801: It looks great in decals. I won't have them up till tomorrow, but I strongly recommend you go to eBay NOW, go to rebelalpha, and order one, because these are going fastfastfast.

Buy. In. Confidence. Modelsvit put that extra year to great result.

UPDATE - looks like Scott is sold out. He's hoping for more sometime next month. I would advise you pick up the cheapest alternative you can find up there. Search: "1/48 Modelsvit F-82"

• Profile Photo

TC@tcinla - Sold out. So I found out a few hours ago. Guess I will wait until Scott gets some more. I'm sure he will.

• Profile Photo

Bruce Archer, who is also building his F-82, has come up with the solution to the most important assembly point of the kit: you MUST get the forward area where the upper wing center part and the outer wings meet to join up just like the molded area on the other side of the fuselage, in order to get the fuselages to fit properly and align the model.

Bruce spotted that the wheel well is right below that area, and can prevent pushing the center wing part down far enough to get the proper fit to the outer wing. The solution is to sand down the forward bulkhead of the wheel well so it is rounded down toward the nose. You only need to remove a little bit, but that lets the wing center section sit right. Test fit the wing center section and just sand down the well wall till you have the proper fit.

• Profile Photo

@eb801 - Send him a "message to vendor" to let you know when they come in.