Casa 212-100: The Aviocar Tail Art

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 10 · 5 years ago · (Nose Art) (Tail Art) (CASA 212) (Special Hobby)
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Ok, not sure if many of you know this petit twin engine made by the spanish CASA, but it was, until its recent demise, the main workhorse of the Portuguese Air Force for a number of roles, including transport, paratroopers, sea recon and medical evacuations.

Up until Special Hobby brand new kit, the only available Aviocar kit was (is?) a Vacuform model.
    I stumble upon the box today, when touring a local hobby shop, and even being a 1/48 modeler, I just couldn't resist buying on impulse. My first 72nd kit in over 20 years!

I had planned building the Alpha-Jet from Wingman, but the uniqueness of the kit, plus the fact that not only it comes with some fantastic decals for the Tail art, the version I'll be doing even has a painted paratrooper on a door about to jump... now thats unique alright

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Good choice Pedro, I like it.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 6 years, 1 month ago:

I like this...were it me, I'd just HAVE to use that paratrooper decal - 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Great model, Pedro! VERY cool tail art!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 6 years, 1 month ago:

And it's going at a steady speed. No major vices, crisp detail and good fit, with only small areas needing putty. Far better than my first special hobby experience, with a Blackburn Roc that I've thrown back inside the box when I realized the fuselage halves would match properly with the cockpit fully built.

So good news from this maker!

Decal on the door and the instrument panel decal both settle down nicely over a black primer. Decal is quite thin but color dense, good stuff.

3 things that need to be added to the pilots chairs; the bars that I added from needles cut to size and bent, arm rests and seat belts. I've seen a squadron video of a fellow building them from milliput so I'll give it a try and see if I can scratchbuild them scale wise.

A few other itens for the cockpit will be scratch made also.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Looking good, Pedro! Very interesting markings choices...

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Time to get this build going again...

Here are some small advances, seat straps are milliput made...very tiny given the scale. Have I mention 1/72 is definitly not my thing? Damm small Lol

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Looks great my friend. I can't build anything in this scale anymore. My tired old eyes and fat fingers don't let me anymore.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your next installment.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 8 months ago:

From the look of the fuselage you're shown holding, the kit appears bigger than I'd imagined (and the paratrooper decal is the "bee's knee's"). 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Nice choice Pedro. I've just added this one to my stash - how is your build coming along? Looking forward to the newt installment 🙂