F 111C, A8-125, 1 Sqn RAAF 1998, F111 sevice 25th anniversary.

Started by Allan J Withers · 65 · 4 years ago · 1/72, F111, General Dynamics, Hasegawa, Nose art GB, RAAF
  • Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks Robert.

• Profile Photo

One more piece added that I'd almost forgotten, nearly ready for some paint !

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Looking fantastic!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Rodgers said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Looking good. I love the way this build is coming. Here’s a photo of the 1/72 Hasegawa F-111D I built to replicate the jet I was flying when I lost most of my rudder at 2.5 Mach while on a supersonic run on 16 Jan 1979.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom, interesting story and model, could you use the spoilers to compensate for the loss of the rudder for yaw control ? I am also interested in how the wing sweep changes the balance / trim of the aircraft !

• Profile Photo
    Tom Rodgers said 4 years, 9 months ago:

I didn’t know the problem I had was the rudder until after I landed. The flight control system/computers took care of trim changes due to wing sweep. Go to my post here on iModeler from about two weeks ago on this build. I have the whole story of that flight posted there.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Tom, I have had a look.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 4 years, 8 months ago:

I dropped it on it's nose a while back then drilled the hole for the pitot off center, still trying to get the shape right !

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The nose shape is OK I think, some magnets in to hold the pave-tack options in place !

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Allan, 6 months ago you explained why y'all called this machine a "pig." I understand now! Thanks!

The build is going great! I'm watching with great interest.

Tom Rodgers ' story about his lost rudder is pretty amazing, but it also shows how advanced modern computers can be ... and the computers in these planes are How Old? Amazing!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for following along Jeff, even with the upgrades I guess they were not up to modern standards, ours were retired nine years ago !

• Profile Photo

Some masking on ready for a coat of paint !

• Profile Photo

A first coat of paint on !

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Masking and some black paint on ! and some strips of tinned thin steel on the pave tack panels to attract those magnets !

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.