Memorial Day tribute to a fallen family member. Monogram 1/48 B-25 J ”Stuff”

Started by Louis Gardner · 98 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Tom, @tom-bebout

I still need to send you something in return for the first diorama base you sent me... I am very pleased with the kind offer you did when you sent me the first one. You are a good man, and even better friend.

Thank you ! Hopefully soon I can start taking some pictures of some P-40's, P-47's and even F4U's using this base you made. I am extremely happy with what you sent me the first time... but should you decide to make another larger one, I wouldn't turn it down if you sent it my way. They are works of art... and it's amazing at how much more realism they add to your pictures.

You're the man !

• Profile Photo

Today was spent with a little time working on "Stuff"

I installed the bomb bay doors, crew entry doors, and ADF "Football" antennae under the fuselage.

The Hamilton Standard logos and specification stencils were applied to the individual propeller blades.

The remaining decals were applied. Then I slipped the wings and props back on to take a few pictures with the latest additions.

Then I decided to give it a try and replicate the exhaust stains that were present on the in flight picture I have of "Stuff"...

So I used the Tamiya weathering decks. Here's what I did so far. One engine exhaust streaking has been done. I'll go back and fine tune this with a Q tip.

Tomorrow if things go well, I'll do the other side, and add some engine oil leaks as well... The tires will get dirtied up a bit too.

As usual,
    Comments are encouraged.

Thanks

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Simply love the approach you have to weathering this "stuff" - well done!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Good looking "stuff" Louis, all of it !

• Profile Photo

Erik, @airbum
    and Allan, @kalamazoo

I appreciate the compliments, and am now happy to announce that I have finished with all of this "Stuff"...

Please stay tuned for another installment. It's coming right up after this next commercial break.

• Profile Photo

As I mentioned above, I'm happy to announce that I have finally finished all of this work on "Stuff"...

I made the deadline, and will be posting the article on October 3rd.

There were some little things left to do, and they always seem to take the longest. I painted the navigational and signaling lights. I used various Tamiya clears and applied them with a tooth pick. Having a foil background really makes the lights pop in my opinion. I also painted the landing light bulbs on the leading edge of the wing using a chrome pen. The clear plastic lenses were added after the remaining portion of the wing's interior was painted in a Yellow Green Zinc Chromate color.

I added the landing gear side strut bracing and gear doors. Then I touched up the exhaust stains some and added little oil leaks under the cowlings...
    I have left the wings off, and will probably not glue them on permanently. This is easier to work on this way... and I'm certain the landing gear will fail with all of the extra nose weight that has been added. So the wings will simply be slipped into position and not glued.

I lightly used some pencil graphite to give the appearance of worn paint on the back side of the props. It's kind of transparent, and will look different from various angles.

This is how "Stuff" looks with the wings slipped on. I really like how the foil turned out.

These next photos show the weathering and exhaust effects I added to "Stuff"

I also added some paint chipping to the crew entry doors on the inside. This is how they usually looked after being in service for a little while. Both doors received the same treatment. I dry brushed some aluminum paint in various places where the crews boots would have made contact with the boarding ladders.

This has ben a very enjoyable build. These old Monogram kits are great, and if you're willing to spend a little time with them, they can turn some heads at a show.

Please check out the headline article when I post it on October 3rd. This will be a tribute to my Dad's cousin who was killed over Italy in a B-25 like this one, 75 years ago "On this Day".

Tom Bricen actually flew several missions in this very plane named "Stuff", as the top turret gunner.

I will probably go back and adjust the exhaust streaks a little after viewing these pictures. The tail streaks look to be out of alignment a little and slightly too heavy for my liking.

Here's to Tommy. A man I never met for obvious reasons. My Dad always spoke highly of him when he talked about him.

He is still buried in the US Military cemetery in Florence, Italy.

Freedom is not free...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 6 months ago:

I lightly used some pencil graphite
    - now what is wrong with all the expensive weathering powder you can buy instead of such a low-tech cheap and easy solution 🙂

Thank you for sharing this important build - I shall take a moment alone with my thoughts tomorrow when you post this in headlines!

• Profile Photo

I just posted "Stuff" in the headline section. Here's a link should you be interested.

On this Day, Oct. 3rd, 1944. A tribute to Staff Sgt. Thomas J. Bricen Jr. 445th Bomb Squadron, 321st Bomb Group Revell B-25J 1/48 scale
    Erik, @airbum I sincerely appreciate your thoughts for my Dad's cousin. Freedom is not free.