MiG Mad Marine

Started by Tom Cleaver · 2 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Not exactly "nose art" more like "fuselage art."

When John Glenn flew in the Marines in the Central Pacific in World War II, he spent time as wingman to The Lone Eagle when Lindbergh came through and taught them to carry heavier loads farther. What's the karmic coincidence The Lone Eagle would fly with the first American to orbit the Earth? Solo?

In Korea, Glenn's wingman in VMF-311 was Ted Williams. When he completed his tour, he flew with the 39th FIS of the 51st FIW in June-July 1952, and scored three MiGs. Hank Buttelman, the last Sabre ace of the war, flew with him on two MiG-killing missions and later said "If the MiGs had come up the last two weeks of the war the way they did in June and the first two weeks of July, John Glenn would have been an ace."

Hasegawa kit bought at "old prices" at the LHS constantly continuing estate sale (you guys who collect kits, guys like me are going to buy them cheap from your survivors and BUILD THEM. 🙂 ) with Wolfpack Decals sheet to do Glenn's F-86F-10. The yellow tipped tanks are supposed to be "Misawa tanks" made in Japan. A pilot was supposed to punch these off in level flight at 1G, or they would come up over the wing and hit the stabilizer (not recommended!), which was why they were painted as they were, to insure only Misawa tanks on any airplane.

The F-86 - my totally favorite jet - the greatest jet fighter ever.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Shawn Bemo said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Beautiful! The Hasegawa Sabre is a classic kit, and you have done it justice. F-86 is also my fav jet also. I have made F-86E, F-86F, F-86D, and F-86H all in 1/32 scale.