P-51D Tamiya 1/48 Weaver's Other One!!

Started by Paul Barber · 19 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I am a s****r for a group build, and have a Tamiya 1/48 Mustang and some decals in the cupboard.

Jaime, since you are doing 'Passion Wagon' I'll do 'Weaver's Nude' unless someone has already decided to build it. Please let me know and I'll slowly start gearing up for it after finishing up kits for the other GBs!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Some unique kill markings on this bird...looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Go for it, Paul! Don't see a lot of nose art like that on Mustangs, so it will be a nice addition.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Well spotted Craig - never seen those before - striking though - great photos

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 1 month ago:

I managed a little bit of 'Tamiya therapy' today (in keeping with the current vibe on iModeler). Here is the cockpit - this kit was delivered to me a day before I left the UK for Australia (a bit over 2 years ago) it has remained untouched since then, since coming out of the suitcase - so it had a few goodies inside - including a resin seat, the thin wooden 'veneer' I had bought to inlay to replicate the flooring, and (of course) the Eduard photo-etch!

Will join the fuselage halves tomorrow.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Fantastic work, Paul. As far as therapy goes Mr. Tamiya has a great calming effect. Judging by your skills, though, you are way ahead of the curve.

• Profile Photo

Thanks David, and thanks for the healthy blend of thoughtful comment and humour on the other thread! Surprisingly enough I am not hanging around on this one so far. Next some filling and sanding - things might slow down a touch!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

That is a pretty cockpit!

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Great progress, Paul. Looks a lot better than mine did at that point! You wouldn't be missing that bondo now, would you? 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Looking good Paul, nice detailing !

• Profile Photo

I wish I could work this well this quickly, Paul. Detail and speed is a very difficult combination but you've nailed it; that 'office' is gorgeous. Any ideas on what's different that's allowing you to work more quickly on this. - more time, or have you discovered a cunning trick?

• Profile Photo

Thanks gentlemen, for your encouragement!

David, I am planning a few builds later this year involving more complex kits - the Tamiya Storch will lead into some Z-M and then WNW. I have built a couple of Tamiya kits quite quickly to practice my basic skills and get the pace up a little. I think improved precision comes with automacy of technique. As such correcting less minor errors and being confident to do things without having to think too hard has helped move things on more rapidly. I used to play a lot of cricket - this feels like ‘having your eye in’! I think momentum builds too. Getting to the point where you can visualise a ‘path to the end’ helps with every type of project I guess!

• Profile Photo

Repetition, planning, and visualisation (I guess not only for the end product but for sub assemblies and stages). That makes a lot of sense when I think of my modeling experience. As I don't have much time to build I often get to the bench thinking 'right, what's next?' rather than having a structured and visualised plan that would make things smoother and (probably) faster.

Thanks.

• Profile Photo

I'd love to get some insight into different types of modeller 'workflow'. How do some of those masterpieces come into being? How many hours and how much saying 'no, I need to rethink' or actually redo certain parts. How many kits does it take? How many trials with different products - rejecting and incorporating? Or are there 'professionals' who have just got the techniques (in spades), high competence and creativity in their arsenals, and who deliver that truly outstanding build every time?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Hey Paul !
    This Mustang of yours is really looking sharp ! I especially like the wood grain on the floor of the office.

Tamiya therapy 101... just what the doctor ordered 😉