Doctoral dissertation on B-17

Started by capt. R · 8 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 1 month ago:

What do you think about this two photos? They show the same plane that performed the same number of missions (the lines on the fuselage can be counted). Is there a painted stripe in a color other than natural aluminum near the target post, or is it an illusion?

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 2 years, 1 month ago:

illusion

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 1 month ago:

@dbutlr I think so too, although this photo gives food for thought ...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Most definitely painted, given the clear line of demarcation, and reflective differences. A little bit of research turned up that 95th BG B-17s has stripes added to their nose sections around July '44. Specifically, planes from the 334th, of which "Worrybird" was assigned had a yellow stripe. This makes sense, given that the color looks like a brighter hue... minding that many colors look widely different in black and white, depending on a number of unknown factors. Regardless, photos of other 95th BG B-17s online also show red, blue and green, which matches this reference:

https://95thbg.com/cms/2019/12/6/camouflage-and-markings

Scroll down to "July 1944" for the correct notes.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

@lis, it looks like to be painted. On the second picture the brightness is turned extremely high and therefore it is not noticeable to my opinion. Correct me if I'm wong.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years ago:

A painted stripe in the "squadron color" was frequently used on B-17s for additional identification. That's what this is.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 10 months ago:

@tcinla Thank You! These stripes were always painted, was there any regulation from the USAAF command for that?

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 10 months ago:

One more photo of Worry Bird.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.