Maltese considerations

Started by capt. R · 16 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 2 months ago:

What can we say about painting JK879 and AB535 planes?

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Suggestion of DK Decals manual are FS15050 upper surfaces, and undersurfaces Sky Blue/Azure Blue. Can we assume that the planes were repainted with a desert pattern? I believe so because it indicates the color of the lower surfaces.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 2 months ago:

+1 on the lower surface and perhaps the Red nose. Looking at the illustrations it begs the question does one need to go to all the trouble of painting a desert camouflaged on a model only to paint over it with a solid color of FS 15050 ? Perhaps primer on the top half.

One thing missing even, though records where loose with the painting of aircraft there must be a time line for some of the color changes. Not all of the Spitfire Mk Vc came off of the Wasp and where painted with brushes and mops and where covered in a thin transparent mottled manner.
    Such as some of the pictures that your showing Lis. You can find more photos of dark colored spitfires on the net. The Malta campaign like the Battle of Britain used radar. The second time around the British used the radar to not only scramble the fighters but, they where sent out to sea and where waiting for enemy aircraft. Before, they could make it to the Island at some point in time. The darker colors found on some Spits would be practical over the water. Like some U.S. Naval aircraft in the later stages of the war. Further more if someone could find a date for the use of radar and when that tactic was used perhaps something could be correlated with the change in color for some a/c.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle I think FS15050 it covers better than the varieties of gray paint, but if you assume that the photos you have attached are the FS15050, then "underpainting" appears on the rear, horizontal stabilizer. Having made two attempts with the model and painting in the old camouflage system, it results that the darker the color, the better the coverage. The mop painting theory is fine, but I don't think all planes were painted that way. E.g. BR187. Which looks completely decent when it comes to the evenness of the paint. this can be deduced from the clearly cut off pattern surrounding serial number. But U@2 looks like mop-painted. EP691 looks like mop-painetd too.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Yeah, everyone gets to play an expert or become Inspector Clouseau of the Pink Panther when it comes to Malta Spitfires. The mop theory with a brush theory all have merit and how much paint was applied varied with each aircraft. Some may have looked like a pale wash and others like U 2 would have been solid in some places and thin on other areas of the aircraft. This applies only to aircraft coming from the Wasp. Then other aircraft having been painted on Malta would have other variations. A very subjective subject. Which begs the question should you be using a airbrush to paint your model or applying paint with a little brush cut to scale to represent the sailors on board? To appease the accuracy police of course. Everything is theory and postulating on what you think is best.

• Profile Photo

All is educated guess 🙂 But most of all, construction is to entertain us 🙂

• Profile Photo

I introduce a new topic. Operation Bowery and the color Dark Slate Gray. Maybe some of you used this shade and can tell you how to get it?

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

After concultations with @tcinla Slate Grey is darker shade of RLM02. 3/4 RLM02 1/4 Khaki Drab in Tamyia, but I'll try with Mr Color RLM02 (already purchased) and maybe add Olive Drab, which I have in stock in two shade variations.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Lis, @lis
    Several years ago I built a series of various Spitfires for a group build we had named "100 Years of the RAF". I built up a Spitfire Mk Vb, with speculative paint with markings for a plane that was flown on several occasions by George Beurling. We have had some correspondence about the color I used. It was called Gunship Gray, FS36118 and I sprayed it on lightly over the top of the existing Desert scheme. I wanted the camouflage pattern to show through.

Only after you brought it to my attention did I realize that I had used the incorrect early style roundels under the wings. Thank you for bringing that up. I will correct it one day. 🙂

• Profile Photo

@lgardner leave it as it is. Your model is beautiful and also represents a certain development of your workshop. And when removing the decal, you can damage the painted surface.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Lis, @lis
    You are right and bring up some good points.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 1 month ago:

We can make another educated guess. Famous John L. Lynch Spitfire. I think I could be repainted on Extra Dark Sea Grey. But what color was as base? Plane didn't have tropical filter.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Most likely, all the "blue" Spitfires were in-the-field repaint jobs of desert-camo painted airplanes. With varying degrees of attention to detail and paint consistency.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Far from an expert and I don't particularly have a horse in this race, but I'm looking at EP691 and I'm immediately reminded of the classic 'Saipan Zeros'.

In those two photos they appear to be painted in a unique camouflage, however earlier photos before they were loaded up on USS Copahee don't show this. Several explanations float around ranging from washing off sea spray, sitting out on a dusty runway for months prior to being loaded up and only certain areas being cleaned up etc etc. Nonetheless, there are decals out there being sold with the idea that they are in a special 2-tone camo scheme.

Obviously the conditions in Malta are far different to Saipan, but is it possible that EP691 isn't actually painted in a particular way but the camera merely picks up and highlights dirt and grime due to reflections and lighting? You can see on the 3rd pic the affect that dirt and grime can have on the same paint (I can't see a B&W original so not sure if it's colourised or not). If EP691 is painted in that blue/slate grey/etc paint scheme would dust from the ground kicked up from the propeller and moved around further by maintenance crew's hands and boots cause it to have such a unique scheme?

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Ross Paton said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Interested to know if all Stencils (Wing Walk and tressle guides etc.) were completely absent on Malta Spits?