Daks Over Normandy – 2019

Started by James B Robinson · 6 · 5 years ago · C-47, D-Day, Dakota
  • Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 9 months ago:

I was reminded the other day, while having a conversation with several other iModeler members, about a historic event coming up next year.

The 75th anniversary of D-Day is on June 6, 2019. Of course, most of you are aware of this fact, but you might not be aware that there will be an American contingent of DC-3/C-47 variants (17 at the moment) flying over France on this historic day.

I'm bring this to your attention because one of the aircraft that I supported in restoration is going to be making this trip. "Nearly 75 years ago, "That’s All, Brother" carried the first of the paratroopers from the 101st and 82nd Airborne divisions. Piloted by Lt. Col John Donalson, the plane led over 800 C-47s which dropped over 13,000 paratroopers into a battle that changed the course of mankind."

To get to Europe safely, the aircraft will follow a North Atlantic route, as weather permits. Stops include:

Oxford, Connecticut
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Narsarsuaq, Greenland
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Prestwick, Scotland
    Duxford, England
    Normandy, France

To learn more and possibly support, visit the following websites:

Thats All Brother https://thatsallbrother.org/

D-Day Squadron http://ddaysquadron.org/

CAF D-Day Wing https://www.cafddaywing.org/

The photo is my cap, autographed by Jim "Pee Wee Martin", 101st Airborne Division / 506th PIR / 3rd Battalion / G Company. Jim Martin jumped into France over Utah Beach the night prior to D-Day and fought for thirty-three days in the Normandy campaign. In September, 1944 he participated in the invasion of Holland ("Operation Market Garden") and was one of the defenders of Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge. The 101st Airborne Division finished their part of the war by securing Berchtesgaden, Germany.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks for posting this, James...

• Profile Photo

No problem Craig. I just hope others see it. I started to post in Headlines but wasn't sure if that was the correct place. It's a pretty significant event in the world of aviation and history in general. Don't know if you saw the event in 2015 celebrating the 70th Anniversary of VE day in D.C. The plane I help maintain, SB2C-5 Helldiver participated. There are planes to do it again in 2020. With any luck, I might be in the back seat. Then again, if I win the lottery any time real soon, I'll be along for the Dak flight.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Very cool to see this. A few weeks ago at the New Smyrna airport, there was another C-47 that had participated in D-Day with dropping paratroopers. I'm fairly certain it was also used during "Market Garden". They found this out by accident when they started going through the aircraft log books... It's named "Placid Lassie". Here's a few photos I took of her...

The owners are trying to make it as authentic as possible. It would be great to see another Warbird present over Normandy that was there 75 years ago...

The inside is still pretty much in military form...

Enjoy,
    and please keep us posted... Thanks

• Profile Photo

Ah yes, Placid Lassie. Beautiful bird. I believe she will be a participant in the trip!

• Profile Photo

@dirtylittlefokker Don't know if you caught this, but I think it might be of interest.