A pair of 1/144 Revell Tomcats

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 17 · 9 months ago · 1/144, Black Bunny, F-14, F-14A, Jolly Rogers, Parent and Child Builds, Revell
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Gradually introducing my youngsters (8 and 6yo) to modeling, we decided to tackle two Revell 1/144 Tomcats...

the idea being the kids involvement in an increasing, yet "safe" manner. Good thing is that they are so far excited in a constructive way (asking about the plane, liking to use the modeling tools, eagerly waiting for "their" models to enter contests - where the junior category has a lot of "allowances" and always a sort of award is granted to every model, which is utterly motivating for the kids who participate - and so on).

We had started the first Tomcat some time ago and decided to tackle the second one today. Here is the situation this morning...

...and here is the progress after an hour or so...

There is a contest that will take place at a nearby city in two weeks, so we hope to enter the models there.

More to come!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

What an excellent way to involve your kids, Spiros @fiveten
    Seem slike their previous builds, and their dad, did motivate them enough to get started with those two magnificant TomCats.
    You mut be one happy dad at this moment. Even happier than usual.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

This makes me smile, @fiveten. My older brother built models, I remember when I was little he built the Tamiya "John Player Special" F1 set with figures and did an excellent job. He had Tamiya armor as well. I wanted models for myself, I remember at 7 years old getting a Snap-Tite Flying Tigers P-40, and not long after a Snap-Tite aircraft carrier, I think it was USS Kitty Hawk. I've stayed in the hobby ever since, aircraft, armor, SF, cars, tabletop "Dungeons & Dragons" miniatures, Battletech and Warhammer, it's all good with me and I still enjoy my hobby decades later.

I also remember getting a Revell Harrier for Christmas when I was 8 or 9, and building it at the dining room table with my father's help. Spiros, I hope you and your boys will enjoy this hobby for years to come as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks my friend @tankgrrl! These are such great memories and I have similar to share from my youth. My boys seem to be interested to our hobby and I hope it stays like this.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Some filling, sanding and painting...

One gray, one black, nice and simple 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looking great, Spiros @fiveten
    Both colors look very nice on the Cats.

• Profile Photo

Thanks on behalf of Loukas and Nikos, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

Futured and ready for decaling...

• Profile Photo

Your kids are doing a great job, Spiros @fiveten
    Looking forward to see them applying the decals.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb! Will be a dad-kids joint effort 🤭🤫

• Profile Photo

Ready for the contest!...

• Profile Photo

Those TomCats will definitely draw the attention of the judges, Spiros @fiveten
    QC1 and QC2 are promising modellers for the future.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 9 months, 4 weeks ago:

Amazing work by your boys, wow, those are very very cool - well done.