Canadian MiG-21

Started by Jay Mitchell · 6 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 4 years, 2 months ago:

I’ve seen pictures of Canadian operated MiG-21s from the early 1960s. I would like to build a model of one, but haven’t been able to locate any decal sheets for that type. If any one can offer suggestions to help me on this quest, I’d appreciate them.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 2 months ago:

This is the first I've heard of the Canadians operating Migs, It's common knowledge that the USAF had them. I remember seeing a photo of our planes [VF-31 F-4s] flying in formation with a Mig 21. Maybe you can adapt existing decals from existing Canadian decals. Good luck.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Perhaps F-104 or F-101 decals might work. The checkered tail markings would be the most difficult to replicate. I need to also find a nice MiG-21F kit, that seems to be the least common version modeled.

When I was at Luke AFB in the early 90s, I saw a MiG-17 or 19 parked on the ramp along side a white F-86. It was early in the morning and still dark so I couldn’t get a good look, the security police there took their job so seriously .

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 2 months ago:

The photo we had was in the squadron ready room, they covered it up in port or when there was visitors about, this was back in 1976. If the F is an early version of the 21, both airfix and hasegawa I think did one in 1/72.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 12 months ago:
  • Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 3 years, 12 months ago:

George @blackadder57, That was quite the read! 🙂 Thanks for sharing.