Egyptian Ghost Grey F-4E Scheme

Started by Greg Kittinger · 5 · 4 years ago · egypt, egyptian, f-4, help
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 10 months ago:

I need some help...I've found pictures, but can find no references to the paint colors used for the Egyptian F-4E in the Ghost Grey disruptive camo scheme. Anyone have some research you can share?

If you can help, send PM. Thanks!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 4 years, 8 months ago:

This might help Greg, got it off a Brit modeling forum.

Re: Photo Request, Egyptian F4E @ Lakenheath/Spangdahlem

Postby scotthldr on Fri 19 Sep 2008, 1:25 pm

iainpeden wrote:  

The Egyptian F-4s had at least 3 colour schemes. One was the standard SEA which faded very quickly, one was the hill gray consisting of dk gray fuselage and inner wings and a medium gray cockpit, fin and outer panels (not sure of FS numbers without references to hand) the other scheme was a disruptive 2 gray one - I suspect either 2 compass grays or 2 ghost grays. This was similar in pattern to the RAFgrey/green scheme.

I suspect it depended on whether the a/c in question was new build or delivered from USAF stock.

Many of the a/c had orange panels on wings and fin - not sure if this was to seperate them from the neighbouring israilis or for dissimilar air combat training

there's a book by Robbie Shaw which includes a variety of schemes

Iain you're quite correct with the schemes. The SEA was the one that the a/c were delivered in as all the a/c came straight off the line at Shaw AFB(I think) there was no new builds delivered to Egypt . This was quickly replaced by the Compass Grey scheme which is referred to as "Egypt One", at some stage it would appear from the photos that I have anyway, that sometime during the 80's the "Hill Grey 1" scheme was adopted which as you say is Gunship Grey/ Neutral Grey Upper surfaces but with Light Grey under surfaces then during the 90's the "Hill Grey 2" scheme was adopted this being the same as "Hill 1" but without the Light Grey under surfaces and had the same pattern of Gunship Grey on the under surfaces as on the uppers . Now for some reason both the "Hill" schemes are also referred to as "Egypt One" so which is which officially. :confused:

Question: Did the Hill 2 scheme ever have plain Neutral Grey undersides?

The Orange panels on the Mig 21 were put on to identify them from Libyan 21's during the short boarder war between the 2 after a couple of Blue on Blue incidents on the Egyptian side this has been extended to all combat a/c since.

• Profile Photo

Gunship Gray FS36118
    Neutral Gray FS36270
    Light (Ghost) Gray FS36375

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 8 months ago:

@jetmex - thanks - great info! I'm familiar with the Hill schemes (doing the Turk in that), so was really looking for that disruptive gray scheme - I'll go with the compass or ghost grays as that seems closer than the darker grays in the Hill scheme.

• Profile Photo

You're welcome Greg, glad that was of some help.