Hairspray Chipping Help please

Started by Scott Acutt · 7 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Scott Acutt said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hi All

I am trying to hairspray chip a winter whitewash and it is a complete disaster. Instead of chips it just takes all the white paint off completely? I really don't know what I am doing wrong. I have followed what seems to be the method and it just does not work. Even watched the Rinaldi youtube guide and was even using the same white paint.

Model had be painted with Tamiya and then clear coated originally. I thin used 2 light coats of hairspray and then used mission models white thinned with their thinner at about a 30% ratio. waited for it to dry and then using a brush moistened with water it just smears all the paint instead of making chips. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

S

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Scott,

From your description, I’d say that you did it properly. I never used Mission Models paint in a serious manner but I don’t think the problem lays there. Just how much water are you applying with the brush? A toothpick is ideal for small blemish and pin point chipping if that is the sort of weathering you’re after. Perhaps some pics would help better advices from fellow modellers

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 11 months ago:

I've not tried, but from my understanding of your problem, and my understanding of the method, I would try less water, and a stiffer brush. Less water to reduce the dissolution of the paint you're experiencing, and the harsher brush to provide for a more physical "tearing away" of the paint.

• Profile Photo
    Jimmy Zed said 3 years, 11 months ago:

It may depend on the hairspray you are using and how much. Have a read through this thread here https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4493397/jack-and-frank-the-japanese-interceptors#Post4493397 where i did two Japanese planes with the hairspray method.

With paint 'sloughing' off, which i had with the Raiden, it was because i was using too much hairspray and then too much water aftwards.

Less hairspray made the job easier as did only using minimal water in the area i was working. I use a chopped down cheap brush (pictured) so it is only about one and a half to two mm of stiff bristles and a skewer/toothpick to pick away carefully.

Vallejos chipping medium is decent and requires only one light coat but must be thinned despite many on youtube showing them spraying it on at super high pressures with no thinning. I'm using that atm thinned with the Vallejo airbrush thinner too a sprayable consistency at about 20 psi and only one to two coats. Results are not much different from using hairspray but at least my model room doesn't smell like a hair salon 😀

The drums pictured are with the vallejo medium. One last thing, you don't need to panic and rush worrying about chipping within 30 minutes or an hour. I've left models to top coat cure over night and they still chip quite easily.

Good luck!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Scott Acutt said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Guys
    Thanks for all the responses. So quick update I woke up and had another go this morning and may have an idea what the issue was. 1.) Either hairspray was chemically wrong (tresemme) 2.) Mission models paint was issue.

The reason I reckon must be one of those is that I used some Mig scratches fluid and then airbrushed Mig acrylic white thinned 50% and results are night and day. This is the same piece that I literally washed all the white off twice and then redid this morning. Critique most welcome, I am pleased with the chips but can't decide if I have too many or not enough lol 🙂

The only reason I went hairspray and that other paint was that was what was used in the demo but I must have been missing something. Even bought the same brand hairspray ...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Scott @acutts! I think your sceratching is suficient!
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Dion Dunn said 3 years, 11 months ago:

I also found that the type of hairspray makes a huge difference. The following two models were done using exactly the same technique and top coat of paint, but different hairsprays. Based on weathered winter cammo schemes, I'd say the both pass scale but vastly different results.