Modeling questions, "Tora" Zeros and converting a Tamiya F2A-2 into a F2A-3 (Midway version)

Started by Doug Humphrey · 6 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Doug Humphrey said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Hello everyone. Thanks for posting so many great pics of models. Getting closer to getting a workshop together to start building, but getting really anxious to get started! Got some questions though...

Has anyone ever released a conversion kit to make a hollywood "Tora" Zero, in 1/48? Have a monogram T-6 and an extra tamiya A6M2 in the stash and getting really tempted to try and kitbash one together. Anyone ever done this before?

Also looking forward to build a Midway Buffalo. Bought a Tamiya F2A-2 then realized my error, but decided this might be a good way to get some scratchbuilding techniques rather than fork out more $$'s on the special hobby kit (there's one listed now on ebay for $125 !). Think I can extend the fuselage in front of the wings okay, but is there any aftermarket solution for an accurate propeller? My first thought was to rob a cuffed prop from a Tamiya Wildcat but I've noticed the hub is a little different, has spline details on it.

Thanks again for all the great pics of models. Looking forward to getting back into the hobby.

• Profile Photo
    Doug Humphrey said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Well, after some searching, managed to answer one of my own questions...Lone Star Models does make a resin conversion set, along with a vacuformed canopy that allows someone to turn a Monogram AT-6 into a "Tora" Zero. Here's some pics to show what's included...

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Sounds like some interesting builds.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Doug (@eydugstr), that is indeed an interesting conversion. I'll have to look that one up too! Thank you for the detectivework.

• Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Of course there is a conversation kit for one of the Hollywood Zeros. Been figuring if I should attempt a try of making one several times but it never came to anything. Have the Osprey book on the T-6 Texan with some nice colour photos of the Zeros

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Doug Humphrey said 3 years, 9 months ago:

TY for the photos, Stellan - While it'll be a little while before I can start building again, really looking forward to trying this. Have always been interested in the Tora Zeros (Grew up watching "Tora Tora Tora", "Baa Baa Black Sheep", and countless other movies that have used them) so this opportunity struck me as a no-brainer to try. Will have to figure out something for the wheel well covers, and something to fill the leading edges in front of the landing gear to the fuselage, but doesn't look impossible.