MRP paint peeling

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 9 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Switched my trustworthy Gunze for MRP lacquers to paint my dual 109 G build and in both models the paint peeled off seriously when using masking tape (Tamiya). Never had such problem with enamels or acrylics, with the exception of AK, and even so in in minor extension...nothing compares to the onslaught I had in both kits.

So I am wondering is anyone out there with experience using MRP paint has ever had such problem before?

In one of the kits the peeling areas are such that am considering stripping the paint entirely and re-paint with Gunze. Thanks!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Sorry to hear this Pedro. I don't have any experience with the paint brand you are using. However I have had to deal with a similar problem when using acrylic paints.

Unfortunately I ended up having to strip off all of the existing paint and start new, using the recommended primer as a base coat first. I also switched over to a "low tack" 3M brand automotive pin striping tape. Before I applied the tape, on occasion I would stick it on the work bench first to make it even less "sticky". Then I would use the tape and didn't have any problems.

Personally I like to use enamels over acrylics, as they seem to "bite" into the plastic and are less prone to lifting or peeling off.

Please keep us informed with how this turns out. Hang in there my friend, it will get better.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 5 years, 11 months ago:

I am using MRP paints for over 2 years now and I had never ever had a case of paint peeling off when unmasking. Have you cleaned your model properly before painting? Did you use any primer and if yes, did only the paint lift off, or primer as well?

• Profile Photo
    Bogdan Ionete said 5 years, 11 months ago:

I am using also MRP from one year ago. Never had this problem. Like Sébastian says, I'm asking you if you cleaned the plastic before painting and if you used a Primer first?

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis!

Like you, and as I also mentioned, I never had any paint being removed by tape masks before, well at least at such extent.
    I use Tamiya tape, or a similar generic type available at my LHS, and even using it without a “cold application” to remove a bit more of the tape’s glue, never did it removed any paint.

The worst now is that a retouch with the paint is not at all satisfactory, as you can see in the picture.
    The most affect kit was Zvezda 109. Almost entire areas of rlm 75 got peeled off. In fact I removed remaining paint of those areas all together and sprayed again, but in the end a complete removal of paint at upper wing camouflage will be the best remedy. Not sure about the Eduard kit though (photos are from this kit)

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hi Sebastijan, thank you for the answer. I didn’t use any primer simply because I only use primer on 2 specific details: resin parts or when going for a NMF. I also didn’t washed the plastic before assemble again because I never found “mainstream” brands that got ny residual cleansing agent remains on the plastic parts, and I painted bit makers kits before doing so with no issues...the only thing different was indeed the paint brand.

Do you always prime plastic parts before using MRP paint?

• Profile Photo

Hi Bogdan, thanks for the answer, like I said to above, no primer and no cleaning of the plastic. I did use 2 layers of gloss varnish when the first paint layer was applied, before masking it that is.
    How many hours do you guys give this paint to fully dry? More than the usual 8 hours?

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Well, there's always a chance of mould release agent residue to remain on the plastic parts and I am quite certain that was the cause of it. I always use primer, no matter if it's nmf, plastic or resin.

• Profile Photo

I guess in all future projects where MRP brand will be in use I’ll do as you do Sebastijan, primer first. I saw that you use an AK primer, does it spray well (no too thick I mean)?