P-2V color question

Started by Jaime Carreon · 3 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Next project looks like it will be a P-2V in 1/72 in the markings of VP-933. It's in the standard white over engine gray, but does anyone happen to know what color the orange is? It looks like faded day-glo in photos, but it might also be fluorescent red-orange FS-28913 or international orange FS-12197. I think the color is dependent on the time frame, so any help in answering this one would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Boris Rakic said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Jaime, you are right - it very much depends on the time frame. So here it goes: The color specifications for Navy aircraft are given in a document called MIL-C-18263. This document has been revised multiple times over the years, the one of interest is revision B from Feb. 12, 1959. It describes a Fluorescent (High Visibilty) Color Configuration for four-engine and two-engine transport landplanes which operate predominantely within the United States, using Semi-Gloss Fluorescent Red Orange.
    Please note the "transport landplanes" part - at least in my book the Neptune would rather qualify as a patrol or anti-submarine warfare aircraft, for which only the standard White/Seaplane Gray scheme was prescribed. Looks like someone took the "transport landplanes" scheme and slapped it onto the Neptune 🙂
    In case you are interested in the further development: Revision E from May 11th, 1965 introduced Glossy International Orange instead of the Semi-Gloss Fluorescent Red Orange, from which point on only targets and drones remained in Red Orange.

In short: for your time frame the color should be FS28913

Cheers,
    Boris

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks, Boris!

I was leaning toward the fluorescent red orange as I don' t think the international orange shade came into being until about 1965. That color is the one used on the training aircraft. The term "transport aircraft" may have been rather loosely applied to anything with more than one engine!

I appreciate the info!

Jaime