Resin plugs

Started by Bert_j · 3 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bert_j said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Folks: I’ve honestly never, in all these years, worked with resin parts. Now, I have a project with an AFV Club M5A1 kit and the Legend M5A1 Stowage set. Some of the plugs are massive, and some are attached to delicate parts...how in the world do you separate and clean up the this stuff without shattering it and ruining detail? Thanks in advance for considering my rookie question.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Bert, if you want to listen advices from a guy that has broken resin parts (several times!) when cutting them of the mould plugs, then here are my two cents:

-For those delicate parts, often the smallest in the set, use a brand new scalpel blade and gently create a thin line just below the part until it’s sufficiently thin to snap it without harm. Looking at the pic, it seems the all parts in that set have thick gates, too bad because other makers often have them produced with thinner attachment point to ease the cutting part.

• for the bigger and massively cast parts I often use a small hobby saw, and carefully as possible avoid touching the part itself. All it needs after is some medium to fine sanding stick and voilá! In the most extreme resin blocks I also reach out for my dremel tool and fill the bench with a lot of resin dust...nasty business, always ventilate the room and use a breathing mask.
  • Profile Photo
    Bert_j said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Dear Pedro: very special thanks for your reply...I didn’t realize a fine blade would work on resin. For the big blocks I’ll work on them outside when the weather cools a bit. Regards. Jim