Minicraft 1/144 C-54

Started by George R Blair Jr · 62 · 1 year ago · C-54, DC-4, Lima Movember, Minicraft, SAS
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros @fiveten). I am getting ready to walk upstairs to attack the final parts. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

I have entered the danger zone on this model. I always hate the last few steps of a build, because it makes me heartsick when something goes wrong at the very end. And when you mess up, it is usually hard to fix.

So, here I am in the danger zone taking care of the last few things. I added the streamlined antenna above the cockpit. No problem.

Next, it was time to paint the five tires. I cleaned them up, and put them on a paper plate to be sure they didn't go adrift on the way to the paint booth. I lost a gear door on my last model on the way to the paint booth, which I managed to rebuild, but I wasn't taking any chances with wheels I couldn't rebuild. So, I carefully carry the plate downstairs to the paint booth, and get ready to paint. But when I reach onto the plate I only found four tires. Yes, it was true, aliens abducted one of my tires as I walked downstairs. I have several tires in my spares that I could use, but they have all been packed for my move and are now living in a storage room 90 miles from here. I sent out search parties, but my tire remains missing.

I decided to move on, just in case the tire eventually turned up, so I decided it was time to seal all the decals with a fresh layer of clear gloss. I was just getting ready to make the trip to the paint booth when I realized I hadn't added the de-icer strips. I had previously decided to use the de-icer strips with the kit's decals instead of painting and masking. The kit decals were old and a little thick, but I thought they would be fine. The decals for the two strips closest to the fuselage went fine, but the strip on the outermost part of the wing had problems. The radius of the leading edge had become very tight in this area, so the thick decals just didn't want to make the bend from the top of the wing to the bottom. I dug really deep into my large selection of profanity, as well as large quantities of MicroSol, and managed to convince the decal to curve. I knew the decals for the tail had zero chance of curving around the leading edge, so I decided to paint them.

Well, all's well that ends well. I plan to let the decals dry for 24 hours, then apply the last layer of clear to seal everything. Maybe in that time, the missing wheel will show up. Everyone stay safe. Cheers.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

It is really hard when you realize a part is missing, and this happens at the most awkward times, my friend @gblair. Good job on the kit de-icer decals, you finally managed to make them conform, also good decision to paint the tail ones: they would have zero chance to wrap around the tiny radius leading edges there. Hope you discover your missing wheel soon!
    Looking super so far!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

The de-icer lines look fine, George @gblair
    Not sure why they have painted them black in stead of the overall silver color.
    Do you know if there was a technical reason behind that?
    Sometimes it is hard to believe how parts just can disolve in air, I hope you can still find that wheel soon.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). Those aliens are sneaky! They stole my tire right from under my nose. Maybe it will come back after they do their medical tests on it.

John: De-icer boots (or strips) are long strips of a flexible material that are sealed to the leading edge of the wing. When ice would accumulate on the leading edge, pilots could inflate the strip in order to break the ice off the wing. Aerodynamically, a wing generates lift from the smooth airflow over the wings. Ice disrupts this flow, so the plane will eventually stall. The weight of the ice also creates problems. These strips worked pretty well, unless the ice was too thick. This system depended on the pilot looking at the wings, seeing the ice, and then turning the system on. There were lots of problems with the system, but it was better than nothing. In C-141s, we had a bleed air system that took hot air off the engines and injected it into ducts in the leading edge of the wings, thereby melting the ice rather than mechanically breaking the ice. It tended to work much better than de-icing boots.

Many planes don't have anti-icing systems due to their weight and complexity. T-37s and T-38s don't have anti-icing systems for the wings. We used flashlights to check the wings during night flights in the weather, and if we started to ice, we would have to descend into warmer temps and get out of the clouds, hoping the ice would melt. In C-141s, we had electronic sensors for icing, and we would turn on the anti-icing systems. This would not happen often, because we were required to flight plan to stay out of heavy icing conditions. Still, you would sometimes encounter unplanned icing conditions. The bleed air systems were effective, but they reduced the range of the plane. You also didn't want to get into icing that could overwhelm the system.

Sorry, long answer for a complicated system.

• Profile Photo

@gblair, thanks a lot for this clear explenation. Also the experience you have with them, and even without them, helps in understanding it even better. I knew about the function of the de-icing strips although not as detailed as you described. In this particular situation of your C54, I was wondering if there was a specific reason to have them painted black.

• Profile Photo

Hi, John (@johnb). Sorry for the long explanation that you didn't need. The de-icing strips were made of some type of rubber, so they were usually black. The constant flexing of the strips made painting them useless.

• Profile Photo

George (@gblair), your explenation was more detailed than what a knew already so it was definitely useful, thanks a lot for that. The material used for the strips was unknown to me. Clearly makes sense now why it is black 🙂 Thanks again.
    Never thought that even Talon's were not equipped with them. Must have been a strange experience to have to check your wing edges with a flaslight.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Nice clean work, George. The final steps always do seem to be the trickiest.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb) and John (@j-healy).

(@johnb) The de-icing systems tend to be a little heavy for small planes like the T-38. They also tend to bleed air off the engine which reduces its power somewhat.
    (@j-healy) I really get nervous at the end. It involves a lot of processes that can mess up everything you have done. You would think after all of the models I have built that these things would be more predictable, but it is a toss of the dice for me if the decals, clear coat, and weathering will work as I think it should.

• Profile Photo

Done. I sprayed a final, clear layer of Tamiya Clear Gloss thinned 50-50 with X-20 thinner over the entire plane. I found a Minicraft DC-4 at my local hobby store on consignment, so I picked it up for a few dollars and solved my missing wheel problem. I attached the clear dome on the top of the fuselage using white glue. Finally, I added the radio antenna line, and the plane was done.

Thanks for following along. I plan to post most of the final photos in Headlines. Everyone stay safe. Cheers

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Turned out wonderful, my friend @gblair!
    I am off to the headlines!

• Profile Photo

Just saw the headlines, George @gblair
    Congratulations, what a wonderful airliner it is.
    Never built one myself, yet.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). John, your life will not be complete until you have the experience of putting really long, thin decals on a shiny, metal finish. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 8 months ago:

George, sorry for being late in commenting! The result of your efforts are very nice indeed. The old boat is such a nice feature, one of the nicest in my humble opinion. Thanks @gblair!