ESCI 1/48 Aermacchi MB.326 in SAAF service

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 76 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Aermacchi, Esci, Italeri, Macchi, MB-326, SAAF, SUAF GB
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Hi everyone!

Here is my ESCI Aermacchi 1/48 MB.326, that I intend to finish as a SAAF bird.

The MB326 is a light military jet trainer designed in Italy. Originally conceived as a two-seat trainer, there have also been single and two-seat light attack versions produced. It is one of the most commercially successful aircraft of its type, being bought by more than 10 countries and produced under licence in Australia, Brazil and South Africa. It set many category records, including an altitude record of 56,807 ft (17,315 m) on 18 March 1966. More than 800 MB-326s were constructed between 1961–1975.

This is the ESCI kit, originally released in 1982 and, in fact my copy is this exact first issue!

Here is a look at the sprues...

Instructions are the typical old style ESCI, nice and clear, with a few color callout omissions...

The Zanchetti-Bucchinasco decals, though printed 40(!) years ago, are excellent and look almost pristine! I will use them for sure!

Started putting it together. Since it would be a major tail-sitting candidate, I removed what seemed to be a nose compartment that would anyway be invisible ...

...then affixed a fishing weight... ...secured it with clay... ...and attached the nose... The wing tanks were assembled and attached by the QC representative... ...as was also attached a home-made rear cockpit bulkhead, since it was missing from the kit (probably lost it somewhere)...

The many NACA air intakes were drilled out for added realism...

...and here is the progress so far... Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Great subject, Spiros. That’s a nice kit.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Great choice and impressive progress already, Spiros @fiveten
    The fast pace ofcourse realised by the QC representive helping out on the constructions.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    Yes, QC representative's help was crucial in order to keep the pace! 🙂

• Profile Photo

First round of putty...

• Profile Photo

MB.326s, when parked, almost always have their flaps "down" and sometimes the air-brake, as well (the latter possibly droops with time). The kit does not provide separate flaps, so I decided to detach them and attach them "down".
    Here is the first detached...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

That will be a beautiful dynamic look, Spiros @fiveten
    Just some minor corrections to be done.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    Here they are detached and coarse sanded, gaps filled...

Next is smooth sanding!

• Profile Photo

Nice preperation prior to smoothing, Spiros @fiveten

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

MLG wells feature some passable detail, but the NLG one is plain and shallow. No easy solution for the latter, the former was somehow "busied-up" with some stretched sprue...

The flaps are done, as well as some subassemblies... Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Well improved, Spiros @fiveten

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

First round of silver...

...some corrections... ...now ready for the second round...Thanks for stopping by!