KP 1/72 Cessna Crane Mk.1a

Started by George R Blair Jr · 12 · 1 year ago · 1/72, AT-17, Bobcat, Cessna Crane Mk.1a, KP
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 2 months ago:

I flew the Cessna T-37 for 10 years, so building a WW2 Cessna trainer was always part of the plan. I have the 1/48 version of this plane, but I got the KP 1/72 version after seeing an inbox review. Despite my misgivings about previous KP kits, this one looked pretty good.

First, a little background. In 1940, the Army Air Corps was looking for a multi-engine transition trainer that could ease the transition of a new pilot from single-engine trainers to multi-engine aircraft. They chose the Cessna T-50, a popular civilian twin-engine aircraft. The Air Corps called this trainer the AT-17 Bobcat, or UC-78 for the passenger version. If you are old enough, you might remember this plane as the one flown initially on the Sky King TV show from the early 1950s. Canada became interested in the AT-17, ordering 180 aircraft that were called the Crane Mk.1. Rather than the metal props of the AT-17, the Crane was delivered with wooden props. Canada later ordered 460 more Cranes. Cessna diverted 182 AT-17s to help fill the large order, which were delivered with metal props. These new Cranes with metal props were called the Crane Mk.1a to differentiate them from those with wooden props.

This kit looks good on the outside, but it is the perfect example of a limited run kit. The only part in the kit that fit perfectly was the windscreen/canopy, everything else required a lot of test fit, sand, test fit again, sand again, test fit again, then glue. A lot of filler was required. The glass for the side windows was too small by far to fit in the required spots, so I created the windows using Microscale Krystal Klear. I wanted to make the floor in the cabin more accurate. On the actual plane, there is a wooden wing spar that cuts across the cabin floor, separating the cabin into the pilot's section and the passenger section. The pilot's section on the actual plane slopes up slightly from the wing spar, while the passenger floor is flat. The model floor is perfectly flat, so I cut the floor and created a slightly raised pilot's section. Of course, this insured that none of the parts for this section would fit. The worst was the instrument panel, which now rests on the sloped floor. Oops.

I used paint from rattle cans to paint the kit. The kit decals worked great. I used artist's oils to add some weathering to the very bright yellow paint. I still need to add the antenna, but that will need to wait for a while. I have surgery scheduled tomorrow, and I don't know how long I will be away from my workbench. I plan to finish this plane when I can and post to Headlines. Cheers.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Excellent result, George @gblair
    Even though the instrumentation panel sits close to the floor, I think the idea to bent the floor was a good idea.
    All looks very nice in this tiny scale.
    Wishing you the best for the surgery.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Nicely done George, I too wish you well !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Another superb project about to be finished, my friend @gblair!
    Wishing you the best for tomorrow!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Sweet build George. The article is informative, entertaining and a easy read. The model screams Cessna Crane Mk.1a. It captures the look and feel in what the eyes can take in.

Two thumbs up.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), Allan (@kalamazoo), and Stephen (@stephen-w-towle). I appreciate the kind words. Now I want to build the 1/48 version. I have the Czech Model kit that was released many years ago by Squadron with the extra True Details resin included. I have read that Dora Wings is expected to release their own 1/48 version soon, so I might wait for it. Thanks for you concern about the surgery. It looks like I will be sidelined for a while. The surgery was for a hernia that was impacting my stomach, causing some concern that it would lead to an intestinal blockage. Surgery went well, but I am moving really slowly now. I am limited to lifting 1 pound for 2-4 weeks, and then five pounds for a few weeks after that. The bigger problem is I can't climb stairs for up to a month, and my hobby room is upstairs. Right now I just feel like taking pain pills and moving as little as possible. I may try to set something up downstairs, but that can wait for a while. I'm 72, and this is the first surgery I have had, so I feel really lucky to have been healthy so far. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

Get well soon, my friend @gblair! Hernia surgeries cause discomfort and pain, but all is excellent after a while. Looks like you will be away from your bench for a short time, I am guessing you will use this time for reading extra reference modeling stuff, so you will leave the rest of us even further behind ? 🙂🙂

• Profile Photo

Wishing you a quick recovery, George @gblair. Glad to hear that the surgery went fine.
    Indeed a lot of reading time for the next few weeks. Take care.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Good news George, get well and modeling soon.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), and Allan (@kalamazoo). You are right, this should be a good time to do a little research. I got a Trumpeter 1/32 SBD-5/A-24B for my birthday last week that I think I have found an unusual paint scheme for. It is an all-metal finish A-24B used on one of the Pacific islands during the war as a liaison aircraft. Very weathered metal finish, simple markings, and an ADF "football" added under the belly. It has some interesting possibilities. Doing an all-metal finish will certainly be a challenge, as my experience doing all-metal stuff is very limited. Cheers everyone.

• Profile Photo

Congratulations, George @gblair
    What an amazing birthday gift you got. A pity you are forced to take some rest first, otherwise I can imagine you would start it right away.
    Cheers.

• Profile Photo

Indeed the all metal A-24 will make quite an impact, my friend @gblair!