Red Star 1/72 Captured Mig-3 in Romanian Colors

Started by Bob Torres · 37 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 3 months ago:

First, I want to start off by describing the model that I will be building. Red Star was a small model company in England that used four molds that were made by Frog around 1976. That year Frog folded and was not able to release their newer kits. While most of their molds went to Novo and Matchbox/Revell, the newer molds that was not released in 1976 were released later on by Red Star in 1984. Red Star no longer exist but their four molds are currently used by EMHAR and can buy their kits at a decent price.

The Mig-3 kit is very basic with very fine raised lines, but the overall shape looks accurate. It comes with decent looking decals but for this build I will be using decals with Romanian markings. This is my second Red Star build, in 2020 I built their Lagg 3 and that was also a captured Russian plane but with Finnish markings.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

This is the decal set for this build. I have never used this brand before so let's see how it goes on later on. The pilot who flew this plane defected from the Ukraine and surrender his plane to the Romanians around December 1941. The scheme for this plane is really not known so they do provide in how it might have looked after it was captured to how it was painted when the Romanians had it for a while.

• Profile Photo

Not much going on in the cockpit so I spiffed up the sidewalls a little, added some styrene and sprue behind the seat to block the empty rear look into the fuselage and reworked the belly's radiator a little not shown in these shots. To get the floor to stay put inside the fuselage I had to be a little creative to glue some pieces to support this area.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Fuselage, wings and tail surfaces are all together and the filling and sanding will be next.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Very unusual kit and version you chose there Bob. I never heard of that brand before, so I’m keeping an eye on your work if you don’t mind

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 3 months ago:

interesting painting scheme!

• Profile Photo

Yes Pedro @holzhamer and Lis @lis, I can wait to see this finished in this scheme. So far my last three Romanian builds I like the way on how the colors in the insignias and yellow stripes and tips made the plane look very attractive.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 3 months ago:

This is a very cool airplane. I wonder what ultimately became of that pilot.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Another great entry, my friend @v1pro!
    Looking forward to it!
    The kit looks to be the 1984 rebox of the 1977 FROG kit, my friend @holzhamer.

• Profile Photo

Jay @ ssgt, good question. As the war got close to the end Romania had to switch sides and support the Russian. Situations like that probably ends up looking at a firing squad…ouch!

• Profile Photo

Hi Spiros @fiveten. Yes a FROG kit that was never in a FROG box. I remember when these kits first came out, I bought the Lagg 3.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Never saw a MiG in Romanian colors before, so I'm definitely strapped in for this build, Bob @v1pro
    Looks great at this stage.

• Profile Photo

I did not do much work on the Mig-3 this week, but I am almost done sanding and smoothing out the seams and wing roots area. Once I have this done, I will start the painting process.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Nice filling and sanding process, my friend @v1pro!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Great improvement, Bob @v1pro
    Not my favorite part of modelling but it is an important step to come to a nice end result.