Spitfire Vc/Trop USAAF

Started by capt. R · 96 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 3 months ago:

@airbum @johnb @fiveten @j-healy

I am glad you are following my thread. It motivates me to work. Choosing a color and comparing shades is very fun. I hope you will like the final effect. The new Airfix product definitely presents a new quality, although a few things would be more detailed as in the KP model. The final assessment, however, will be given when the wings fit the fuselage and the measure will be how much putty I will use ๐Ÿ™‚

• Profile Photo

A kind of bathtub that was formed by the cockpit elements that seemed generally very thoughtful, but required a bit of a sweat on the motive. There were some minor imperfections in the folding of the halves in the lower part. However, the cabin frames fit very well to the hull and you could say I'm satisfied. during the fight, I forgot to use the Tamiya powder metallizer, to improve the clarity of the details, I only used the Tamiya panel line. which damaged my paintwork in one place on the rear frame - we are fortunately repainted. I made one mistake here, putting everything together a bit by heart and following the solutions from the KP model. In this model, the armor plate is split, the pilot's seat is connected to the armor plate, and the upper part is separated at head height. Thinking that I would stick the seat with the plate "to something", I did not paint it on the back and after assembly, although it is almost invisible, it remained plastic-colored ... I was dissatisfied, so I painted it with a brush. The effect is satisfactory, I think, and everything is hiding deeper into the hull anyway. Undoubtedly, this way of building the cockpit as in the Arifix set ensures that the elements are placed in the right place and the floor is perfectly horizontal. The downside is that you have to put everything together in advance, and a few freshly glued parts must match the halves of the cockpit "bathtub" at the same time. But it worked. As usual, I paint the control panel by hand for many models myself, without using any decals or aftermarket PE elements. Now will be the moment of truth, folding wings ... I'm sorry there were no pictures before, but I was in a maniacal folding phase. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

The end result is very good, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Ditto on Spiro's comment. Once you put that canopy on top of the cockpit . . . you mostly will see the harness and If your lucky some of the side wall detail. Like the after market stuff too. It will sharpen the wheels and sweeten the deal.

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle You are right! Few builds ago I used only Aftermarket seatbelts in cockpit. Airfix give option to open canopy, and I will use that option ๐Ÿ™‚ Year ago I build A6M5 Hasegawa with full option in cockpit with Aftermarket PE parts. Really great, but you didn't see them under canopy ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Looks great, Lis @lis
    After my return to this amazing hobby, I tend to build aircraft with open canopies, this to show as much as possible of the interior. Current kits do have a detailed interior which I want to show as much as possible.

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle @airbum @johnb @fiveten @j-healy This round will be won by the Airfix kit with a decisive advantage of points. The thesis expressed on YT that the wings do not fit properly is not the case, but you have to glue the lower surfaces first, and then adjust the upper surfaces to the wings. Otherwise, it may not come out. They fit very well, I used a minimal amount of liquid putty. Perhaps, having experience with this model, I would not use it at all in the next one. Another not true is that the Tropical filter does not match well. It is satisfactory, and after using the liquid putty on the wing rubbing, it is practically completely correct, in my opinion. Airfix has fewer details than KP and worse dividing lines, but the buildability is definitely better! At least for now. Another test will be the chassis assembly. Airfix has spacious ejectors, which is a big plus! So far, the weakest element was the smaller glycol cooler, which consisted of two parts and required putty. The option of opening the hatch in the large radiator is not well developed, because some of them have nothing to hold on to. Unfortunately, I have a small error, because due to the use of any mounting pins, it finally tilts slightly after drying, but it is not visible.

PS. I didn't use any aftermarket weponary at this build. I think barrels of guns are quite good. They are molded with lower part of the wings.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Something to keep in mind with these kits like the Spitfire it will not break the bank. Good value for the money spent. I've toyed around with the idea of opening the cockpit hatch to open things up. In this scale its a Catch-22 the redeeming value when dressing up a kit is in the photography. Proof of doing and showing what can be done in miniature. Showing the goods. Others wise for a guest or viewer your having to be up close and personal and the kit has to be viewed at a certain angle to see the cockpit instrument panel and the rudder panels. How many dinner guests and party goers can one have? So photography does wonders. But, in the end its the harness that really gets seen by the casual viewer.

• Profile Photo

From the pictures, the fitting looks great, Lis @lis
    Nice progress.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, my friend @lis!
    Thanks for the info on the kit!

• Profile Photo

Masking takes a lot of time...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Masking is indeed time consuming, Lis @lis
    If properly done, you will definitely benefit from it.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Looks like it's going to turn out very nice @lis.

• Profile Photo

Yep, masking takes a lot of time, my friend @lis!
    Looking great so far!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 3 months ago:

I just caught up with your build thread here @lis. Youโ€™ve got an impressive build going here. Iโ€™d like to backtrack to your box plus parts photo at the very beginning and ask you whatโ€™s the story on what looks like a PE instrument panel In a plastic bag. Did you use it? Who made it?

Your handed painted control panel looks lincredibly realistic and dialed in.