Spitfire Vc/Trop USAAF

Started by capt. R · 96 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Mrs. Yarra’s Boys
    Very interesting story about one of Malta Deffenders. I have this markins on my sheet of decals!

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle @eb801 @fiveten @johnb @tcinla

After eight hours of decal application, the markings are complete. The last star on the lower side of the right wing gave a hard time. Not only did it cover the Browning shell ejector (but the hole in the decal was made without an accident), it also lay on the cavity that covered the machine gun bolt. Such a diverse structure under the decal caused it to tear slightly at the very edge. I secured it with Roundel Blue paint from Hataka and Red from Tamiya. You can probably see the shadow on the shore between the star's lower arms. Yes this is the trace of putting the decal. Also, the Extradecal brand did quite well and worked well with my favorite Micro Set and Micro Sol. Technical markings are only in undersurfaces original painted in Sky Blue. Uppersurfaces was repainted and I didn't see any tecical stencils on this photo. The exception was the marking of the first aid hatch in the form of a hatch on the fuselage, which, after analyzing the photos, was usually refilled by hand (safety reasons?)

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Decaling looks good, my friend @lis, the retouched one looks excellent too! Yes, maybe it was for safety/importance reasons that the first aid sign was applied.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Very nice decalling, Lis @lis
    Also the save on the bottom one worked out well.
    I can imagine that if a plane has crashed 'gently' and outsiders are getting towards the plane for helping the pilot, it is handy if they notice exactly where a first aid kit is located.

• Profile Photo
    Erik GjΓΈrup said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Great stuff!

• Profile Photo

@airbum
    @fiveten
    @johnb
    I'm glad that You like my work! Extradecals is quite good, but prefer DK-Decals I think.

• Profile Photo

Set of Dunlops.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Lis those Dunlops must be after market ? I had to open my boxing of the Airfix Spitfire Mk V and the wheels are far more generic and with out any lettering. They look fantastic and will punch up the detail and make the kit really stand out. Our they QuickBoost or CMK?

As for the Technical data markings I'll bet some got painted over. The Americans liked to experiment with different camouflage's and the standard A+B cameo patterns made way for some ad-libbing or artistic expression. There is a Book "Spitfires & Yellow Tail Mustangs. The U.S. 52nd fighter group in WWII." With some black and white photos. Some Spits where painted brown on the top or a light grey while the under sides stayed with the light blue. The data appears to have been painted over. These where Mk IX's but, earlier Mk's got different colors too.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Fantastic Dunlops, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo

Indeed very nice set of wheels, even showing the brand, Lis @lis

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle Yes. This wheels was from aftermarket Eduard set dedicated for Airfix Kit. Also I bought Eduard Exhauts. If You like to spend extra money, this details make your kit good πŸ™‚ It cost me sth about 12$ with cost of delivery. I like when wheels had "Dunlop" marking πŸ˜‰ Yes I like USAAF camo painting on Spitfire. An all unusual paintings as on Malta πŸ™‚ I try to find best Malta Painting, but There are so many good options πŸ™‚

@fiveten

@johnb

Thank you!

Question for all:

What Sptfire should I build next?

next Airfix Vc from Malta?

KP Vb from Malta?

Eduard IXc from Tunesia?

• Profile Photo

Is that a serious question, Lis @lis
    I vote to have build all of them πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 2 months ago:

That's the beauty of some these Airfix kits you get a core kit that is reasonably priced and you can buy some more goodies to improve things even more. Now that you have an American Spit in the stable your Malta Spitfire will be even better with the knowledge gained from having built.

Malta Spitfires have been a focal point for discussion for modelers for years with lots of speculation and arguments over Malta Blue.

Malta ended up being the second Battle of Britain , the island ended up getting more bombs dropped on it then in the Battle. Looking forward to the Malta campaign/ build.

• Profile Photo

@johnb But you need to calculate the order πŸ˜‰

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle

Yes, the Airfix kit gives you a lot for a price of around $ 10-12! The manufacturer thought of two propeller options and clipped wings, different weapon configurations, and additional, fuel tanks. Everything is perfect for building a Malta spitfire. A very interesting speculation for me was the 4x 20mm Hispano armament option, and the painting in the American colors of the US Navy. The only thing that cannot be done immediately with the Airfix kit is the option of only two external cannons attached. Also the cockpit is very advanced and the kit has the option of opening the cabin. Here, if you need to, you can add an open cockpit door yourself, but I did not decide to do it. I think that for less demanding modelers, you can easily make a set in out of the box mode and it will be very attractive. I like (unfortunately for my wallet) aftermarket sets, such as wheels, exhaust pipes and seat belts as well as ready-made masks for painting the cabin - unfortunately I'm too lazy to stick the glazing and cut miniature pieces of Tamiya tape πŸ™‚