1/48 A-36 Mustang!

Started by Andrew H · 23 · 4 years ago · Accurate Miniatures, Apache, Invader, Italeri, Mustang
  • Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 years, 5 months ago:

I'm hopeful to get started on the decals today 🙂

One question I can't seem to find an answer to is concerning stenciling on the prop. The kit includes some yellow stencils as well as a mfr logo, but I only see these used on restored a/c. I'm thinking of adding the stencils at least. Thoughts?

Mock up photo if current status attached. 🙂

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 4 years, 5 months ago:

In looking at the photo set I posted I don't see any A-36's with the stenciling. The yellow tips seem to be painted both front and back though. If it were mine I'd leave them off and weather the prop a bit. Do the decals have the Curtiss Electric logo?

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Jim thanks!

Yes it is a Curtiss Electric Logo, best I can tell.

Despite them being on the decal sheet, there is no mention of them being used in the instructions. I wasn't sure if this was omitted by accident or by reason.

Got some of the main decals laid down on the left side today. The italeri decals are a bit thick, but lay down nicely from what I can see so far. React well to micro-set/sol, and are well registered. More to come.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Looking very nice!

• Profile Photo

Pictures speak for themselves. 🙂

Calling it a day.

Stencils remain, and a but more micro-sol in areas.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Getting close to the Dec 1st deadline. Only a few remaining opportunities to build. The largest remaining hurdle is getting the center canopy section properly fitted and painted. Landing gear, guns, antennae and lens just need fit.

The aircraft was washed with thinned oils (a mix of black and umbers), after a matte lacquer coat. I'm not terribly happy with the finish, making me wish I had opted for simply using acrylic Matt varnish like I normally do, however this usually gets worn thin from the oil wash rubbing. Eh, you live and learn, right?

Speaking of which, I was disappointed in my masking of the fore and aft canopy pieces, which I'm still working to recover entirely.

May or may not be completed before 12/1, we'll just have to see. For all you fellow Americans, Happy Thanksgiving! For most everyone else, happy Thursday!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Well problems aside, Andrew, your Apache looks fantastic. I too prefer oils as a weathering medium, using them quite diluted and over an acrylic gloss varnish, or if the model is painted with my trusted Gunze Mr. Hobby directly over the paint.
    I really like the look of the OD

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks Pedro, I somehow missed this comment.

Update with some recent progress. I've fallen into building another kit (as so often happens), and have been putting off some of the final touches to the Apache. But alas! She NEARLY complete...

The canopy is installed and looks great, though in my honest opinion far from perfect. I had to add slivers of styrene to either side to make the starboard piece fit between the forward and rear sections, but it is not too easy to discern in person. I added Lycra antenea rigging, and used a Prisma silver pencil for knicks and chipping. I also splotched some alternate shaped of OD on areas where touch ups may be more prevailant.

There are a few minor details remaining, the biggest of which is the bombs! Unfortunately due to things shifting around the workbench, I've lost one of the fins to one of the bombs. Rather than scratch build one of these fiddly pieces, I decided to use two nearly identical (I believe they are modeled after the same size bomb) units from the spares bin. They will not fit up to the pylons quite right, but non-the-less, a dive bomber isn't a bomber without bombs.

Finished debut: https://imodeler.com/2020/01/teethfangs-gb-1-48-a-36-mustang/

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.