1/48 scale Monogram B-24 J “Tubarao” assembly ship

Started by Louis Gardner · 75 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 8 months ago:

This is a great kit and I am looking forward to seeing it with paint on the outside. I have both the "D" & "J" Monogram kits that occasionally call me to build them, but then I remember how much shelf space they take up and I re-think the idea.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Good stuff Louis. I love assembly ships, even have a book about them. My plan one day is to do this one once I find grade out insignia...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Excellent progress, Louis. As George says, there’s something about these Judas Goats - not just the colours, but a general ‘status’/mystique/coolness. I bet you can’t wait to get to 5he external painting stages.

Bravo Zulu.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 8 months ago:

David - the bomber that crashed in Loch Ness was the Wellington IC "R for Robert" which was pulled out and is being restored, and is one of the two markings choices on the new Airfix Wellington kit.

Louis - you're doing good work on this old chestnut. Your theory of the different interior colors is mostly correct, though all the airframe was actually built at the same factory - Ford's Willow Run and Consolidated in San Diego. Mostly to do with the AF callouts for different colors. Bronze Green/Dull Dark Green was a fairly common cockpit color (B-17, P-47, etc.)

Gonna be interesting to see this when you start the exterior painting.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks gentlemen for the compliments. This one is going to get "fun" with all the painting and masking very soon. I want to use Bare Metal Foil on various parts of the exterior that were left in the natural state and not covered by the assembly ship markings.

George, you might be able to tone down the National Insignia by spraying a few light coats of Tamiya Smoke over the top of them... Or you could spray them on if you found some masks. That looks like a very cool looking choice for a B-24 ! I like it... 🙂 a lot...

The down side to building these big Monogram kits is storage space... They do take up some serious real estate in the display cases. But they are impressive and dwarf practically everything else parked nearby.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the compliments Tom on this one. But I think my thoughts on these various interior colors are very close to being correct.

They built J model B-24's in 5 factories instead of only 2 like you mentioned. This is what they have to say about it at Wikipedia. Other books have the same information in them.

Besides being built by Ford at Willow Run, the Consolidated planes were being built by Douglas, (using Ford Parts) in Tulsa OK.

Bell aircraft Company also built them under license in Marietta GA.

North American built them in Grand Prairie Texas as well...

In fact, quite a few (estimated at 801) were built in the San Diego Consolidated plant using parts that were trucked in from Ford. These sub assembly kits were called "Knock Down" planes...

Most of these sub assemblies were made using parts from various sub contractors. These two pictures here came from the Chula Vista public library. They show engine assemblies and superchargers being produced nearby. These "sub" assemblies are just one of the many that were provided by the "sub contractors" I mentioned. These engines were built at yet another factory... Logistics. And a lot of it. These smaller sub assemblies were assembled (and sometimes actually produced on site) at the 5 locations I mentioned above.

Ford was by far the biggest producer... but it took an awful long time for the Willow Run plant to get moving. Once Ford did reach it's peak production, it was producing a B-24 every 59 minutes or so... Simply amazing.

Ford also assembled these "knock down" planes using parts from the subcontractors. Once the major assemblies were completed, they were trucked off elsewhere to other plants for final assembly. Using turrets as an example... Sperry, Emerson, Consolidated, you get the drift.

This fact that they used a lot of subcontractors, combined with the various specifications and color call outs made by the US Army Air Force for interior finishes and specs for anti glare measures for crew compartments are why these planes were painted the way they were.

Here's just a few pictures that show these assemblies before they were "bolted together" literally... You will see that the joints on these larger components match up almost identically to the different colors I used on mine. These larger components would have had various colors used inside them, but would have had an overall theme of having a similar color throughout the sub assembly.

When you consider that various paint manufacturers would have been supplying paint to these sub contractors, and that the paint would have came from different lots, you can see why there was a variation between units. They had specifications for colors, but that's another can of worms.

This is why there are 3 different colors that I used on my build.

There has been a lot of research done in more recent times on the various shades of green that were used by other authors such as Dana Bell. This is a fascinating subject, and more work needs to be done in this field. No longer is it "correct" to just paint on some interior green if you want an accurate model.

I have a partial copy of the specific color specifications that the USAAF called for on the B-25. This document shows that in some locations that bare metal finish was good enough... and that no painting was required on some parts. Instead they relied on the anodized finish of the aluminum for corrosion control. The same treatment was given to other Army bombers such as the B-24.

The same thing happened to other US Army aircraft, just like you mentioned. The P-47, P-51 etc., all had variations of different colors used throughout the airframe. This would change with time, throughout the production history of each specific type.

So you were partially correct too... 🙂

Please stay tuned, as I hope to get some more work done on this one while the other kits on the work bench are drying...

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Seems that all your WIPs of late give the audience a lot more than anticipated. Recalling your Iron works, Wurgers, the Tony and now this, all focus paint shades/camouflage food for thought. I for one appreciate all this info you share with us Louis, a big thank you.
    Now carry on 😉

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 4 years, 8 months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kermit+weeks+B-24

Louis found this Youtube short of Kermit Weeks presenting his B-24 which is a time capsule. It was brought over to the states by David Tallichet from India in the 70's. Tallichet need to sell some of his collection ...Weeks picked up. The Indian Air force only maintained the bird. Inspecting and repairing as needed. All of the original colors and hard ware are on the a/c. Its a two part series. This bird probably is the only accurate B-24 color wise having not been restored and subject to the interpretations of the folks doing the restoration. I believe the Collins Foundation a/c was also, purchased by Tallichet in the same manner. However, it has under gone a lot of work and engine changes and paint jobs to keep it airworthy.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for posting this Stephen !

I have seen Kermit Weeks’ B-24 on several occasions over the years. The first time it was parked outside, and I found myself wondering why ? It truly is a time capsule.

The Collings Foundation B-24 is in similar condition on the inside, with mostly wartime colors present. However it is not as complete as the one that Kermit owns.

I have been inside the Collings B-24 on several occasions and have some really cool pictures of it, inside and out.

The Collings 24 has had the engines replaced several times

and it has been externally repainted a few times as well. I can remember seeing it painted as “All American”, The Dragon and His Tail”, and most recently “Witchcraft”.

Both are beautiful planes. I hope that Kermit gets his restoration done.

I had no idea that these videos were on YouTube. I watched part 1 and 2 in their entirety. Now I’m hooked and I’ll try to watch the rest from the “Kermit Cam”.

Thank you very much. I sincerely appreciate this. The videos also confirmed my color choices.

• Profile Photo
    Mark Krumrey said 4 years, 7 months ago:

I like what you are doing here and look forward to seeing this progress to completion. I used the three different colors for the interior as well, I used Tamiya Nato Black for the forward part, Testors MM Medium Green for the bomb bay and NMF for the rear crew quarters. I mix it up each model It do. I like the look of the AM engines but once you get the ignition harness and the props, they sort of disappear, but they do look nice. Thanks too for the neat photo's of the Collings Foundation "Witchcraft". I saw it once back in about 1998 as it flew over my work site when it was the "All American" on it's way to a show in St. Paul MN. No mistaking the sound of those engines.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Louis, since starting work on this B-24, it has inspired quite a few excellent B-24 mini GB from several sources. And not just the B-24 but a few Monogram B-17's as well. I need to get back and finish my "little" Academy 72nd B-24. Once again an excellent review and build on the B-24. Keep it coming.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks Mark ! @mkrumrey
    I'll do the same on my next B-24 and mix things up a little. I might use slightly different colors too, so please stay tuned...

Chuck @uscusn

I appreciate the compliments buddy... You must have a crystal ball or something... I have two B-17's in the pipeline. One has been started many years ago and will eventually sport a Bare Metal Finish. It's going to be done as "A Bit O Lace"...

Meanwhile today was a busy day at the "Iron Werks". It was propeller and wheel day...
    Here's a picture showing the various wheels after the base color Dark Gray was sprayed on.

A close up of the B-24 wheels after the hubs were sprayed.

The prop hubs were sprayed too.

The yellow tips still have to be painted. First they will receive a coat of white.

As usual,
    Comments are encouraged.

Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Today I stopped by and spent some time with my friends at the airport. While I was there I took some photos of the B-24-J named "Witchcraft" that is operated by the Collings Foundation. It's parked here now for the annual service.

I have been wanting some decent material to use as reference for when I start modifying the rear of the engine nacelles to make them look more realistic. The kit parts are molded solid in this location and it's not correct.

I'm going to be cutting the ends of the nacelles, opening them up to look a little more like the real thing.

In case you're wondering, this is the outboard engine nacelle at the rear most portion. There's a square metal diverter here that looks like a square tray.

The inboard nacelles are slightly different. They are completely open...

I'll get busy on these modifications now that I have seen how it looks up close.

As always,
    Comments are encouraged.

Thanks

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 5 months ago:

That's a great discovery Louis @lgardner, Nice catch!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Nothing like having the real thing as a source to accuracy 🙂
    That looks like a friendly correction that will improve the finish model, I only hope it will be an easy task, but I cannot tell since I don’t have the plastic to compare. Good luck my friend, hoping to see this bird finished!