The Angry Farmer – LET Z-37T "Agro Turbo"

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 33 · 4 years ago · 1/72, agriculture, civil, KP, LET
  • Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Finally, it's arrived – a recent model kit by Kovozavody of an agricultural airplane LET Z-37T. It's a turboprop version of a piston-powered Z-37. And as you can see, one of the markings has that shark mouth, which is pretty unusual for civil aviation, but makes the subject suitable for this group build.

A few words about the kit itself – it's a typical Czech short run, nothing special. Kit contains no PE or resin parts, only plastic sprues, and decals. Putty and sandpaper already prepared.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Rather cool subject! - I'm in for the ride!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Interesting and colourfull subject Dmitry, good choice.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Esoteric but definitely catchup! Great choice Dmitry

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 8 months ago:

If I had to build a civie aircraft, a shark mouth would be a must! Nicely chosen - that should look really sharp when done, especially in your capable hands.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Thank you, friends! And sorry for a delay.

It's time for some updates. A pretty usual start – from the cockpit. The kit doesn't contain too many details, seat belts are not included even in a form of decals, which is unusual for AZ/KP, but I'll find something in my box with the leftovers.

Also, I've spent some time on checking the fit – not that bad, but some problematic areas were indicated in advance.

Some kit parts are pretending to be round:

But in general, detail level is acceptable:

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 8 months ago:

It actually looks quite decent seen from here 😉 keep the updates coming Dmitry

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Ha! Love that thought - "pretending to be round" - the Mach2 kit I just finished putting together would be the poster child for that sentiment! I know you'll pull a rabbit out of the hat with this!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Very cool Dmitry, there are such planes parked on the Inner at Larnaca airport in Cyprus. Very cool, I once saw one in the air, these pilots can be very acrobatic with them!

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Greg, Mach2 kits are very famous ones in this sense. Never tried them, but already scarred 🙂

Michel, I think I saw an acrobatic (or at least, non-agricultural) version of Z-37. And also KP released an army version of Z-37 kit.

I've spent some time trying to fit rear windows to its position in the fuselage. Finally, it was solved, and I've also added a layer of clear acrylic varnish to fill all the gaps and flaws.

Instruction doesn't give any paint numbers for the cockpit, only the color name – light grey. I've picked up a Tamiya paint, which I think should be light enough for grey. Also, according to the photos I have, it's more or less looks the same. PE seatbelts have been found in the box with the leftovers. I think it was some WWII German airplane.

The fuselage comes along very nicely, so I've decided to put putty everywhere on a seam line. Short run is a short run. Anyway, the only real problematic part is air intake – should be sanded from inside.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Out of the ordinary and thus quite interesting. Will be watching this.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Very interesting subject, Dmitry! I'll watch along with you.

• Profile Photo

Time for some updates.

I've spent a few hours creating masks in an editor, and then cutting it with the plotter. I've started with measuring canopy with a caliper, then doing adjustments to achieve the best fit. This is my third mask, and still I didn't find a good way of sharing such things among modellers. Yes, there is a group on Facebook, but it's a closed group.

The rest of the build is going on slowly, no rush.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Comin' along nicely! You write that you wish to share the masks - is that a file or will you offer them as a finished mask? - if you want to offer the masks then ello may be an alternative to FB - you can find ello here; ello.co (NOT .com) they give you a setting where you can sell and / or share your work, but that will have to be via a link to a homepage you make. If it is fileshare you are thinking of then ello does not support files. hope that is of some help?

• Profile Photo

@airbum Thanks, Erik! Regarding masks - it's just an SVG-files, and I was thinking about sharing it under the Creative Commons license, so you can do whatever you want with it, but only for non-commercial use. Maybe, somebody would also share the similar things, but I need to start from something. I will take a look on Ello – thanks for suggestion!