P-40 - Defender of Perl...

Started by capt. R · 60 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Sorry for my absence from the forum. I was, had some work, but I didn't forget to start building a new model. I am also creating the promised new group and invite you to build together! First steps with new Kit.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Lis, @lis
    Thank you for the invitation to this new group. I like the choice of aircraft you have picked ! Currently I have a 1/48 scale Airfix P-40 underway and it will have the same markings as this one does. I will definitely be watching this space for updates.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Great entry, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Great choise Lis @lis
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo

After priming, and polishing with Tamiya paste. I used Browning Barrels from Fine Molds, because original barrels was too short and quite poor. Fit was quite good, especially fuselage and wings, bu some filler was required. I used liquid putty from Mr Color, and some CA glue in gel. I must admit that the assembly of the model was designed quite cleverly, avoiding visible seams from joining the hull halves. The upper part of the engine casing, along with the Browning 50 machine guns, was as a separate part. Likewise, the glycol cooler under the model. Much better fit of these parts than in the Airfix model (although I only rely on the analysis of YT films, although I am tempted to build the airfix kit for comparison). Some putty was needed at the point where the glycol cooler was connected to the lower part of the fuselage. But to overcome. After grinding and polishing with paste, it seems to me that the assembly seam is minimized.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

As with your usual jobs, it looks excellent, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo

Another amazing start, Lis @lis
    Those barrels are a clear improvement.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner @fiveten @johnb During this build, I decided to try preshading for the first time. I used a gray, a little denser, undercoat for this (to concentrate as much as possible the places where the lighter foundation was applied - Watched it on YT). At first it didn't go exactly as I wanted, so in the end I corrected the lines again with a black undercoat. I'm curious what will come out of this. The technique as I can see on YT is popular. Maybe you have any insights?

PS. I didn't write it, but 50 cal Brownings in cockpit was also from Fine Molds set. I only cut of barrels to fit all cokpit in fuselage. I also drilled barrels on top cover of engine by 0,5 mm drill.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great pre-shading, Lis @lis
    This is exactly the same way as I do.
    Using a slightly lighter pre-shade color for light final colors and dark pre-shading for dark camouflage colors.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Nice work on this, Lis. Remember that these were basically pre-war airplanes and well-maintained. Photos of them before December 7 show them very clean. (They only got them several months before, so not much wear and tear at all) You're definitely getting the most out of what's in the box.

Should you decide to do a second early P-40 in 1/72, let me assure you the Airfix kit is miles ahead of Trumpy on all points from "buildability" through accuracy.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla I thought for a long time what Kit to buy, but I read a few unflattering opinni about the Airfix model, that the fitting of the wings to the fuselage leaves much to be desired (and a lot of putty), and quite poor wheels. But yes, I am seriously considering building an Airfix for comparison in the future. Mabye as Tomahawk IIb?

PS. What I don't like about the Trumpeter set? Too shallow cockpit and poor, too thick, glazing. Also Poor wheels (I bought aftermarket set for this)

• Profile Photo

@johnb @tcinla I have tried to make this weathering as gentle as possible. As You said it was quite new plane in 7 december 1941.

• Profile Photo

Looking great @lis!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 5 months ago:

@lis yeah, the 1/48 and 1/72 Trumpeter P-40Bs are scaledowns of their massively-wrongwrongwrong 1/32 P-40B (I did a review of it at Modeling Madness to demonstrate how bad it was). How they got that cockpit is beyond understanding. A new high (or low) in Completely Screwing Things Up.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla The "155" have two painting schemes. Under the tail, the gray paint either reaches under the horizontal fins, or is only on the very lower back at the vertical stabilizer. Which version is correct? AML suggests the second. The historic "294" is painted similarly.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.