P-40 - Defender of Perl...

Started by capt. R · 60 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Undedersurfaces in Neutral Grey. There is probably no presheidning effect in the photo because poor light.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Looks nice, Lis @lis
    This also happens when I take pictures of pre-shaded surfaces, on the picture the pre-shading is barely visible while your eyes can clearly see that it is there.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Looking nice indeed, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 5 months ago:

This is looking good, I like the early P-40's they are to me a classic. Your build is turning out really nice and sometimes picking up all the subtleness of your paint work is hard to pick up with a camera.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 5 months ago:

@luftwaffe-birdman I like classic P-40 too! 🙂 And I'm glaad that you like my build! Tomorrow I paste new photos after painting upper surfaces by Olive Drab Paint.

While preparing tomorrow's lesson for my students, I found a very interesting link: It describes in detail the operations of the American Air Force on December 7, including an unknown episode of SBD-2 combat:

How Many Japanese Planes Were Shot Down During Pearl Harbor?
    The number of 11 machines knocked down in air combat, adding five probable kills and two damaged machines, can be increased by 19 machines canceled on aircraft carriers due to too much damage. In terms of kills, eight P-40s (George Welch - 4 and Ken Taylor - 4) are attributed. In addition, P-36 (Lieutenants Harry W. Brown and Robert J. Rogers of the 47th Pursuit Squadron) can be credited with one sure win and two probable win. Four pilots Lieutenant Lewis M. Sanders Second Lieutenants Phillip M. Rasmussen, John M. Thacker, and Gordon M Sterling can be attributed to Sanders - One Victory, Rasmussen One Victory, Sterling (KIA) Damage to Enemy. Damage to the enemy machine was also caused by the SBD-2.
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 4 months ago:

@tcinla @lgardner @johnb @fiveten @luftwaffe-birdman After taking of masks of Tamiya tape. I hope You like it. Prop is also done - Waiting for decals.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Looks great, my friend @lis!
    Looking forward to decaling!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Lis, @lis
    Your P-40 is looking very good. It should be finished soon judging by your progress. Thank you for the website link to Pearl harbor. That is one of the very best articles I have read about the battle to date.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla @lgardner @johnb @fiveten @luftwaffe-birdman

Wheels need some work. it is a resin kit from AML. there was also some work to get the main landing gear fitted to the wheels. The hubs had to be shortened to fit into the drilled holes in the wheels. Initially, I assumed the wheel sets from the box would be too weak for me. However, after analysis, I found that they are even cleverly designed, because the hubcap covers are separate elements. who has no pressure to have wheels with a tread, the set from the box should be enough. I insisted that the wheel sets will look better with the tread and a few visible bolts 🙂 A nice surprise for the AML kit was that it had paint masks (although they were quite stiff and as a result one did not stick well enough and I made some paint correction (I think it was satisfactory).

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

The wheels look super, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Good work on that, Lis.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla @lgardner @johnb @fiveten @luftwaffe-birdman

Ready to clear coat. Exhaust are quickboost set. Barrels in wings was weathered by Tamiya Master set.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 4 months ago:

@lis - that looks really nice!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Your progress is at high speed with great results, Lis @lis
    Very nice airbrush results.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla @johnb thank you! Tail wheel need some attenion. At first I think that is very clever build inside in fuselage wall. But after fell off few times during work I think Airfix have safest version of fitting tail wheel.