1/144 USS Gato

Started by Jordyn Collier · 15 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 4 years, 3 months ago:

I dont know much about this sub, but I bet I will by the end of it. It looks to be a quick and easy build, with a straightforward paint scheme of flat black and light gray, but I have to rig it. And I know what you are saying. "But Jordyn, 4 wip models is too much!" Well, I tend to build up a few things then paint them together. Thats what i did for my last three complete builds and i thought it was nice to have all of them done at once. I want to say this one was a gift from Gary. So, here's to my FIRST proper boat model! And yes, the picture has the panther and marder in it, but I dont have any other pics, so I thought I'd get my foot in the door for this new group and post what I will be building.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 3 months ago:

It seems that I always have several works underway at the same time. This is by choice for me, as it makes painting easier, especially when I am painting the same colors. Please keep us posted.

• Profile Photo

Well. I assembled the wierd internal structure. Took approximately an hour cleaning the parts and test fitting. I wonder if it's just for supports? Or if it's meant to float? The hull has holes in it to let water in, and it seems like this structure is weighted towards the bottom. Its sorta like a long tube. idk.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Jordyn, I'm no submariner, but could it be the main pressure vessel hull? Most of the visible hull is built around the actual hull, which is approximately cylindrical in shape. See the below link, or construction pictures of any of this class boat, on Navsource (via Google).

https://www.ussflierproject.com/tags/gato-class-submarine/

Also if you ever get to do some reading, there are many harrowing stories about the silent service in WWII. It was a vital part of Naval strategy and reading up will give you a fine appreciation for the boats and the men who sail them.

Edit:
    Navsource link to the Wahoo (a boat with a storied history). Note the first few pictures of construction.
    http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08238.htm

I suppose if you wanted to do a cutaway model, some find it interesting to detail the innards of the vessel, hence the semblance of bulkheads, if I'm not mistaken.

• Profile Photo

Well that would be interesting, but my scratch building skills are nowhere near on par enough to do it justice. It would be like a 4 year old designing a rocket.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 years, 3 months ago:

No worries, as appealing as it would look, I think the finished model done up to completion is equally display worthy 😉

Looking forward to seeing your progress. I have this kit from HB, however in my chosen scale of 1/700.. so a wee bit smaller, and slightly less detail! 🙂

• Profile Photo

Lol. I hope I do her justice. I'll be doing the red black and grey scheme.

• Profile Photo

Also, this will be part of a group build I'm in, so expect the posts to be rolling along, including paint.

• Profile Photo

Man, school was busy this week. I finally got some down time to work on my models. Here is an update for the gato, along with some additional history.
    USS Gato (SS-212) was the lead ship of her class of submarine in the United States Navy. She was the first Navy ship named for the gato, a species of small catshark. Her keel was laid down 5 October 1940, by the Electric Boat Company of Groton, Connecticut. She served in WW2 in the pacific theatre.

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 4 years, 2 months ago:

I got the tower on, and I actually started some paint on it. I'm liking the look.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 4 years ago:

Haha! I finally got back into the swing of things! I have painted my sub to its final paint scheme, and next up is decals and weathering.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 years ago:

Great progress! That thing is large. You've got to appreciate the upswept bows, on these old fleet subs.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years ago:

Looking good ,Jordyn.

• Profile Photo
    joseph s hudson said 1 year, 8 months ago:

I have the 1/72 gato,,I hope to build it but havent started after two looks at the boxful,,id like to build it as waterline also,,

• Profile Photo
    Robert McDowell said 1 year, 5 months ago:

The Gato Class are the boats that destroyed most of the IJN shipping, as I recall. I saw one done as a detailed cutaway at a show. I believe it was this kit the builder stared with.