1/35 ,Type IIB U-boat (waterline)

• 65 posts
  • Last reply 3 days, 20 hours ago
Viewing 46 - 60 of 65 posts
  • Maarten said 2 weeks, 6 days ago:

Gary ,
    I have a guy that makes resin rivets printed on decal paper ,
    I will also use it to for all the rivets on the U-Boot.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Chaz Sutherland said 2 weeks, 6 days ago:

That’s a very clever way to induce insanity (seriously clever), but I adore ‘crazy’ so I hope you enjoy placing those as much as I look forward to seeing the results.

• david leigh-smith said 2 weeks, 6 days ago:

This is just brilliant. Thanks for sharing this.

• Maarten said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

I couldn’t resist ……
    Had to see how its going to look ,so i sprayed the deck a very dark grey .

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Maarten said 1 week, 6 days ago:

,Riveted the conning tower(and primed ) and on side of the boat so far,

Rivets by :
    http://www.decals4all.eu

• Chaz Sutherland said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Wow, that looks great. What’s your technique of keeping those s*****s in line? Do you place down a light line with a pencil first as a guide?

• Maarten said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Thanks Chaz,

That is exactly what i do …..i draw a line in pencil, cut my strips of rivets and place them on te model as straight as i can,and fix them with micro sol decal solution.

These resin decals are the best …..they wont tear up and they are white on the glue side so you always know which side is the rivet site.

• david leigh-smith said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Amazingly effective, Maarten. And very skilful.

• Maarten said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Thanks Dave,

• Maarten said 1 week ago:

Pre-shaded over the light grey primer,
    Ready for the actual paint scheme ….of an overall light. grey boat with a greenish grey camo band all around the upper part of the conning tower and a darker grey (Than the overall boat )band under it.
    The painted mascot for the U-20,this will be in front of the conning tower ,Got the drawing from a book and had a decal/transfer made .

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Chaz Sutherland said 1 week ago:

Looking great… The horseshoe is understandable (presuming it meant “luck” back then as it does here in the States), but the goose-toting volksmarcher is a bizarre image. Why would the crew adopt a mascot like this one? Is it tied to a German fable of sorts?

Chaz ,thanks for looking and comment .

It’s a horseshoe lifebuoy ….there are two of them, one on each sides of the conning tower,
    ( your very lucky when you have one ,when your floating in the ocean)
    The story about the mascot i don’t know,
    I have the U-boat emblem book but sadly it does not say its origin or meaning .
    Probably an old German medieval swan wrangler story

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

LOL… a buoy! Ah, yeah, that makes sense having one topside for surface details. I’m sure they got forgotten on occasion… esp if a PBY or Swordfish was sighted and everyone rushed below decks to man their stations. I can imagine a very startled seagull when one of those things suddenly popped to the surface like a rocket.

A swan? Guess that’s as evident as it being a goose 😀 Btw, I just Googled U-Boat mascots and see a litany of entertaining images… no girls though (guess that was just us/US), but I did find a horseshoe (http://www.uboataces.com/ref-insignia.shtml). In all honesty I expected to see more skulls and cross bones. Despite their misguided intentions, the Nazi’s had brilliant design and propaganda, so these mascots/insignia are a bit surprising. I can see Goebbels throwing tantrums about it. Screaming at some unsuspecting underling replying with, “But Herr Goebbels, you insisted your designated images be painted in acrylics. The Fuhrer gave us his personal collection from his time in art school… but the boats are designed to sink and…” !!SLAP!! Another insubordinate underling sent to the eastern front.

My Friends over on forum-marinearchiv,gave the answer about the mascot,
    His name is Hans im Luck ‘Lucky Hans”
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_in_Luck

What a great tale, but it should be renamed “Hans the Optimist” since he wasn’t so lucky, but simply had a great perspective about his life (Epictetus would be proud). The unknown artist should also feel vindicated that my first guess was a goose. As an illustrator myself, something like that is important to an artist (alive or dead) 😀
    Thanks for the heads up Maarten and I look forward to your next steps.

Viewing 46 - 60 of 65 posts