“Anyway…we delivered the bomb.” USS Indianapolis, CA-35.

• 100 posts
  • Last reply 6 days ago
Viewing 1 - 15 of 100 posts
  • david leigh-smith said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

This is a ‘speed build’. Trumpeter USS Indianapolis, started yesterday… planned finish August 11th (now that people who know me have stopped laughing, let’s get on with this).

It is a companion piece to my ‘Orca’ project ( https://imodeler.com/groups/imoder-at-the-movies-1964926360/forum/topic/heres-to-swimmin-with-bow-legged-women/ ) from the ‘iModeler at the Movies’ Group Build.

If you haven’t seen the movie Jaws and are wondering why the Indianapolis is such a crucial component of the film, here’s four of the best minutes In the history of moving pictures…

Shaw was blind drunk the first attempt at the speech, but after pleading with Spielberg he turned up at 07:00 the next morning and nailed it in four takes. If you watch Hooper (Dreyfus) in the background, he is utterly spellbound in a way that suggests he isn’t acting.

So, to the ‘Indi’ (my spelling, it’s my only daughter’s name).

She sank (as Quint observed) in just 12 minutes after being hit twice in crucial compartments by Japanese Imperial Navy sub I-58.

One thousand, nine hundred and ninety six men were on the Indi, 317 were rescued. Captain Charles McVey, famously scapegoated, took his own life in 1968. The Indi herself was rediscovered by Paul Allen’s “USS Indianapolis Project” aboard Research Vessel ‘Petrel’ on 19 August 2017, at a depth of 18,044 feet.

Full fathom five thy father lies,

Of his bones are coral made,

Those are pearls that were his eyes,

Nothing of him that doth fade,

But doth suffer a sea-change

Into something rich and strange.

Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:

Ding-dong.

Hark! now I hear them — Ding-dong, bell.

Ariel, Shakespear’s ‘Tempest’.

Anyway, this will be my modest homage to those men and she’ll sit under the Orca, a perfect companion piece.

Hull struck. Lots and lots and lots of sanding.

No filling required, which is impressive on a two piece hull of considerable size.

Some of the details are a little soft. I took a while choosing between the Academy kit and this one; both have their strengths and weaknesses.

What’s the quote? “No plan survives first contact with photo-etch”

Seriously, some of these photo-etch ‘folding parts’ are just ridiculously small; I’m afraid to breathe in lest I get parts lodged in my alveoli (glad the predictive text got that one right…).

I made these Curtiss float planes earlier, no idea why trumpeter persist with clear plastic, they’re horrible to build and so fragile.

So, we are afloat. More to come later today.

Some extras, being well guarded…

A nice coincidence, the Indi and Orca are more or less the same length, making a possibility of a nice display.

• Michel Verschuere said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Very nice project David! Will look great with a shark between Orca and Indy!

The mechanical ‘Bruce’ will eventually get to the bench – 2020, maybe.

Thanks for dropping by, Michel.

• Tom Bebout said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

David you are a gluten for punishment. I’ll enjoy watching this build until the completion, August 11th you say?

• Gary Wiley said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

I happened to stumble upon this David. Off to a great start, I see. I considered purchasing the Academy kit last week, but since I’m trying to finish my Arizona before 12/7, I decided against the purchase.

I have the BigEd package of PE for the Arizona, and have rebuilt an amazing number of replacement items from the kit. I’m tempted to do a build log as motivation to keep moving, but (enter preferred excuse here)… 🙂

At any rate, I’ll be watching this build too!

Time to bring in the big guns… say hello to the monster from the deep…

Does look a little like something from a 50’s ‘creature feature’, but boy, it does a job.

Cracking on with the ‘Indi’. Amazing what you can do with a little time.

@tom-bebout – yes, August 11th, two weeks. If she ain’t done by the end of August, though, it’ll be the great dry dock in the sky for her. Well, the attic. After this, I have the small matter of a very important Avenger.

Gary, nice to hear from you. As always.

I thought about buying the Big Ed extras for the Indianapolis…I don’t know about the US, the damned set costs twice the price of the original model here in the U.K.

I know what you mean about the motivation. If I didn’t do build logs, I’d never finish anything. It’d be great if you did a WiP on the Arizona – she’s such a lovely ship and with that Eduard photo-etch she’ll look outstanding. Either way, I’m looking forward to seeing her, my friend.

@wiley2770

And already attaching some of the superstructure. Looking ok; again, my thoughts are that in general the detail is soft and could be much better in 350 scale. That said, I think with the extras and paint, she’ll be alright.

• George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

You know, David, this model is probably large enough that you could add radio control to it. Both your Orca and Indie would be water-worthy. Oddly significant is the idea that both of these ships had big shark problems.

• Louis Gardner said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Hello David !!!

August 11th is a fast approaching deadline, but I have total faith that you can do it. Posting articles on here and replying to various build journals takes up considerable time for me. Time that could be spent otherwise at the work bench. Lately I haven’t been doing much of either, but that’s another story.

You can probably post updates to this build on your daily work commute, to help pass the time (and keep your sanity). This would allow more time to complete this ambitious endeavor.

I’ll be watching from the sidelines……………. I just happened to this journal by accident. You’re off and running !!! Looks good too. Your magnifying glass reminds me of a 1950’s Sci-fi monster.

I like the idea about radio control in the Orca especially……………….. Who knows, if the RC bug bites you hard enough, (and it can) you might even consider scratch building a much larger Indy at a later date. That would really be something to see in the water. Imagine………… you could have working lights and turrets that moved. The RC electric power technology has come a long way since I started dabbling in it many years ago with my scratch build WW1 1/6 scale aviation subjects. I’m a much better builder than I am a pilot of these electric contraptions………………..

Who needs gas ???? Eat a burrito………….. 🙂

• david leigh-smith said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

George, making radio controlled things is the thing that would send me over the edge. I kind had f feel that ve reached critical mass keeping work, kids, and a ‘hobby’ in some semblance of balance.

If I ever want to go completely bonkers I’ll give it a crack..

@gblair.

• david leigh-smith said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Well, today I primed the hull, ready for some paint. All that sanding and rubbing paid off, primer didn’t show up any flaws.

Got stuck into more of the superstructure. Like everything in life, there’s some kind of universal balance; God gave us opposable thumbs and polystyrene because we were good (once upon a time…) – the Devil, well, the Devil gave us Photo-etch.

Starting to look like the ‘Indi’ already…

Viewing 1 - 15 of 100 posts