Tugboat, Revell, 1:108. FINISHED

• 32 posts
  • Last reply 11 months ago
  • Revell, tugboat
Viewing 16 - 30 of 32 posts
  • david leigh-smith said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Greg is so right, you can almost feel the time and effort that’s gone into this.

@pikofix

• Michel Verschuere said 11 months, 1 week ago:

@pikofix a real tribute to this old kit, well done!

• Robert Royes said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Great work on classic.

• Csaba said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Today I managed to fix my airbrush connector, and painted the deck. So, finally it is assembly time!
    The deck is not straight, it has a small curvature. I had to find a solution to keep it in place – as you can see solution is very simple, a few rubber bands and wooden cooking sticks.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Gary Wiley said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Bravo! Looking good, and glad to see it’s assembly time.

• Csaba said 11 months, 1 week ago:

The assembly went quite fast, since all of the components were already assembled and painted. However, I realized that one thing was not ready. I have to finish the boat davits, the original parts in the kit were simplified. I need to make a few small blocks and other components, paint them and do the rigging as well. I am not a boat guy (mainly building airplanes), but I built two wooden boat models before. I learned a lot from those kits, and I am sure it won’t be a problem to make these from plastic.

Other than that, it already looks like a ship! I really hope that I will finish this kit in two weeks.
    UPDATED – forgot to attach the photo…

• Chaz Sutherland said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Stunning piece Csaba. Bravo!

• Gary Wiley said 11 months, 1 week ago:

I’m with Chaz. Very, very nice Csaba.

• Eugene J Schmidt said 11 months ago:

That is really nice. Fine scratch building work.

EJ

• Csaba said 11 months ago:

I work on the last parts, the boat davits. The original kit part is basically the davor arm with a hole on it for the thread. The instructions show a simple thread going from the hole to the boat. Well, reality is a bit more complex… I made a few small bits on the arm itself, and made the pulleys. Tomorrow is painting day (hopefully), a little bit of rigging, and then she is complete.
    I have just made a registration for the model on C4 Open’s webpage. The competition is on next weekend in Malmö, Sweden. I hope I will be able to participate (our plans are still not fixed for the weekend).

Well, she is finished! I would do a few things differently, but after all, it does not look bad, and I learned a lot from this build.
    Here are a few photos – more to come when I get some time to summarize the build in an article, hopefully within two weeks.
    The next project will be closer to my comfort zone, I am going to finish another abandoned airplane project, a Razorback P-47 from Tamiya.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Gary Wiley said 11 months ago:

Wow! That turned out incredibly well. Great photos as well.

Quick question: what type of soldering system did you use for your railings?

Thank you Gary, I did my best in order to take good photos.

I used a cheapie soldering iron and a small desktop vise. I bought that iron for the equivalent of ca. 75 USD. It was not used for two or three years and I have just realized that the tip is heavily corroded, so it is really time to get new spare parts…

It would have been better to use the professional equipment at work, but I was too lazy to pack everything and spend time there after normal hours. (I work as engineer in the electronics industry)
    Luckily I have decent soldering skills, so I managed to do it with my old iron as well.

However, I can barely see any difference between the soldered and glued parts after painting the rails. ( I soldered only the straight parts, not the curved ones in the front)
    The tricky thing was to keep everything together while soldering. That’s why I needed that small vise. I made a few test parts, when I tried to hold the parts with a tweezer, but the superglue joint broke all the time because of the heat.

• Michel Verschuere said 11 months ago:

Bravo!

• Gary Wiley said 11 months ago:

Thanks Csaba, Your soldering skills definitely show. I was thinking of buying Micro-mark’s small resistance soldering unit so I can finish my PE-heavy modification of a USS Arizona kit. My joints keep coming apart when using my traditional soldering iron. Any tips?

Viewing 16 - 30 of 32 posts