U-2540, XXI sub with interior, 1/144, plastic. WIP

• 43 posts
  • Last reply 1 month, 4 weeks ago
  • 1/144. submarine. plastic, Revell, U 2540, XXI
Viewing 1 - 15 of 43 posts
  • Peter Hausamann said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

First plastic model.
    Bought from secondhand shop. Has a small piece missing. 95% of kit still in template frames.
    Using Humbrol paint from local maritime museum. Had to cross-reference with Revell recommendation.

Have noticed, on the Internet, that quite a few people have built this kit. Most seem unfinished and/or somewhat disfigured. Is there anything I should be aware of about this kit, or it’s assembly?

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Gary Wiley said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

I’ve never built this kit, but I look forward to seeing what you do with it. Good luck Peter.

• paul teixeira said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Never built this one but would love to. Seems like a very fun and rewarding project with lots of potential. If I was to build it I would add some wiring and plumbing on back bulkheads and walls to busy it up.

• Craig Abrahamson said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

No one will know there’s a ‘small piece missing’ – isn’t the whole thing “small”..? 🙂

Thank you Gary, paul, and Craig for checking in.
    Thanks paul about the plumbing idea. Have considered doing the same.
    Craig, the small part won’t be seen anyway. It was a working part which allowed the forward diving planes to move in and out in unison. I will just have to glue the planes in the out position.

Could not resist jumping the gun and start building the conning tower. It is a separate unit from the rest of the sub. However, I have had other ideas for improving the conning tower since completing it. Now I will have to work on it in situ.

Anyway, I have already diverted from following the colour scheme. I like a little bit of colour here and there. Also, I dislike weathering, it makes for cold, dull and depressive compositions.

• Peter Hausamann said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Decided that some fine detail decals will be used. The rest will be painted.

Torpedo racks.

• david leigh-smith said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Peter, before studying psychology I trained in architecture (before the world wide spiderweb) and so had to do all my own drawing. I’m loving the detail of your plans on these builds you are sharing and seeing you execute them is a pure joy.

Because I don’t get that much time at the bench, this ‘vicarious modeling’ is important and really keeps the mojo alive.

@david leigh-smith, we have similar paths. Before studying psychology (degree in counselling) I spent time as an architectural renderer, drafting, and graphics artist. These days, I use MS Paint to quickly draw plans where many measurements must fit all together. Otherwise its a quick sketch to portray a visual idea.

It’s funny how an illustrator can pick up on others ease, or laissez-faire, approach to sketching. Knowing that if they were serious, their output would be quite illustrative. I used to write very neatly. Then I went to uni where note taking had to be lightning fast. Since then, writing is no longer for show but just to get the point across.

Peter, that’s almost uncanny. I know exactly what you mean about handwriting, I was trained to beautifully script but these days can barely read my own notes. Funny how you meet people with such similar pathways- that said, with seven and a half billion other souls on the rock, maybe not…

Looking forward to more from you.

Painted the torpedoes. Cut one torpedo off the set of three, so the set of two will fit in bottom rack. This will allow clear space on top rack to view starboard wall. Otherwise it gets blocked. The spare torpedoes will be shown as being fired from the torpedo tubes.

• Chaz Sutherland said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

This is coming along very nicely, and more importantly it appears you’re enjoying yourself. The straightforward colors and clean paint is reminding me of the training and engineering maquettes I’ve seen in museums or on the desk of a lucky VIP.

Thank you @Chaz Sutherland for your encouragement and complement. Much appreciated.

As Chaz said, it looks as though you are having a ton of fun on this project, Peter. Great detailing and really, really enjoyable to follow.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 43 posts