U-2540, XXI sub with interior, 1/144, plastic. WIP

• 44 posts
  • Last reply 2 months ago
  • 1/144. submarine. plastic, Revell, U 2540, XXI
Viewing 31 - 44 of 44 posts
  • Peter Hausamann said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks David. Yes, figures do ad some life to a model. Sometimes it is the only thing the observer can relate to. Modelling allows me to enjoy playing with miniature dolls among real men. ha ha ha.

@jjetmec, thanks for showing the weathered sub.

In the movie U-571; as they look upon a sprung rust-hole leak . . .

@cybergolem. Ha ha ha, very funny Chaz.

This model has battery banks which get hidden within the model. I find it strange to show batteries with terminal points and then hide it.

The only way to show the batteries, in situ, is to cut away a portion of the wardroom deck, and/or create a cross-section cutaway of the upper battery bank. To get a better idea of how this may look, I did a quick sketch.

From my notes you can see that I am thinking of creating a mini-diorama. The usual drama with submarine batteries is when seawater reacts with battery acid. Chlorine gas, which is toxic, is produced from that reaction.

• Chaz Sutherland said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Very cool. Reading the part about the chlorine gas immediately took me back to when I was qualifying aboard the Aspro. We learned all the nasty ways that sub-life would try and do a sailor in and gas was one of many. Another nasty one was if a torpedo leaked otto fuel. There was also arsenic, dry steam and whatever the mess would try and do with the baloney when food stores were low. We never seemed to be low on baloney, so the threat was always present. Sometimes 4 times a day 🙂

The Bonefish was a diesel boat that took on some seawater and it turned her battery compartment into a kiln. The skipper called to abandon ship and everyone made it to safety due to the extraordinary work of a single aviation rescue swimmer (despite getting punched in the face from one of the peeps he was attempting to rescue). It was always sad to lose a boat but a diesel was especially painful. They were far quieter than the nukes, but more importantly, hit far more ports since they had to refuel more often. After this incident there were only 3 diesels left in our fleet. That made getting on one almost impossible.

Onward though… the decking you’re putting those LED’s on made it look like a breadboard at first glance. I can’t wait to see this thing lit up with the clean paint and all. It’s awesome you’re staying the course on this build… and some.

Thank you Chaz @cybergolem for visiting this build. And thanks for that interesting information and stories. The Australian submarines are diesel, and the do very well at the international war games too.

Thanks for your encouraging words on this build.

• Peter Hausamann said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Needed to prepare the bulkhead between wardroom and control room, so I can attach the battery banks. Altered a figurine to present the captain going through the bulkhead into the control room.

• Pedro L. Rocha said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Peter, had some fun time reading your entire build thread. Submarines are not my kicks but I admire any model genre where the modeler does genuine good detail work. And those Lilliputian sailors bring the ship some action purpose, just how do you manage to paint them 🙂

• Peter Hausamann said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Thank you Pedro @holzhamer for visiting this build and your complements.
    How did I paint them? with a very fine lining brush and a fun filled heart (fearlessness) 😉

• Peter Hausamann said 10 months ago:

For a bit of drama I needed a crewman electrician, armed with a torch, will be in the forward battery compartment. Experimenting with 0.7 mm optical fiber to simulate a torch.

Painted the cross-section as best I could. Because it is painted (2D) it only looks right at one particular angle.

The investigating crewman discovers the fallen electrician, overtaken by the chlorine gas.

This build is on hold for a while as I need to work some more on the Wardell Bridge Diorama, at
    http://imodeler.com/groups/dioramas/forum/topic/wardell-bridge-1-72-scratch-build-wip/

• Paul Barber said 10 months ago:

This is stunning Peter, I can just sense the enjoyment you are getting from this build! The way you are bringing the ‘miniature dolls’ to life is very skilful – I can’t get over how everything is so well thought out. The use of the lights is perfect! This will change the way I think of my own projects – very impressive and certainly inspirational!

• Peter Hausamann said 10 months ago:

Thank you Paul @yellow10 for your kind words. Much appreciated.

Yes, modelling is quite a lot of fun, especially when the human element gets incorporated into the build, and of course ‘light’. Both introduces ‘life’. The plastic figurines invite themselves to be part of a story. I don’t think I could ever make a model without some sort of ‘life’ story in it. As you suggested Paul, let’s introduce enjoyment into the creativity. The human story is one we all can relate to.

• Ian Foulkes said 2 months ago:

Amazing work, anymore updates?

Viewing 31 - 44 of 44 posts