1/32 Hasegawa Nakajima Ki44-II Hei SHOKI (TOJO)

Started by George Williams · 18 · 3 years ago · 1/32, Empire of Japan Group Build, Hasegawa, TOJO
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 3 years, 3 months ago:

OK, I give in. At the beginning of last year (2020) I decided not to make any more military models of any sort, particularly WW2, no more aircraft (due to lack of display space), especially in 1/32 scale. But, I kept seeing and admiring these Empire of Japan builds, and, finally, on following Louis' WIP and the finished TOJO posted in headlines, I gave in, and Santa brought this kit, Hasegawa ref 08880. Pictures to follow.

• Profile Photo

Here are a couple of pictures

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Wow, George @chinesegeorge! What a great entry at Louis's exciting EoJ GB!
    This is a wonderful kit, and surely a masterpiece of a model will emerge!
    Which scheme are you going to do?

• Profile Photo

Thanks for looking, Spiros, I think scheme number three is favourite at the moment. I've started work on the cockpit and have gone for the "blue look". I want to use up my collection of Tamiya spray cans if at all possible, keeping the purchase of new ones to a minimum. Due to living in a fairly small apartment using airbrush is all but impossible, but there is a communal area where I can get away with spray cans. Anyway the nearest colour I had was Racing Blue, which I've toned down a little with an overspray of RAF Ocean Grey... I hope it looks better than it sounds. Pictures to follow.

• Profile Photo

Here are a couple of pictures, please feel free to criticise:

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I tried to make a basic lap harness from masking tape, hopefully not much will eventually be seen when the fuselage is closed up.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Scheme #3 looks great, George @chinesegeorge!
    Love all those cockpit details! As you stated, pity that most of them will be hidden once the cockpit will be closed...
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

I'm strapped in on your build George (@chinesegeorge). You are off to a nice start.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Hello George, @chinesegeorge
    I am very humbled that my Ki-44 build was the deciding factor for you to start building aircraft again. It goes against all of your former choices. It's military, an aircraft, and a 1/32 scale model on top of all that. This is the most sincere compliment about one of my model builds I have ever received.

Thank you VERY much ... 🙂 I am truly honored.

I only had one problem during my build, and that was for the insert plug that goes on each side of the fuselage, just ahead of the cockpit. I ended up using filler there, and this was my first ever attempt at using liquefied styrene. At first I used putty, but it chipped off as I tried to re-scribe the lines. This picture shows the putty. I had to dig all of it back out before I used the liquefied styrene.

The liquefied styrene was the perfect choice here, as it doesn't chip or flake off. It sands down nicely, just as the surrounding plastic does, plus you can rivet it or scribe new lines on it and not worry.

The engine in this kit is a real gem ! As is the cockpit. I wish I had left the side entry doors closed on mine. They were never really opened up from what I discovered after it was too late... But by then I had already cut them open from the fuselage halves. One thing I did to enhance the looks of the seat, besides the harness as you already have done, was I drilled out the holes.

One thing I did deviate from the plans was how I cut off the tabs of the "Butterfly" combat flaps and posed them closed. This is how the plane was most often seen. I only found one picture of the flaps opened, and this was when the plane was in flight. I'm not telling you to close yours, since there is a lot of nice details there, I'm only expressing my choice when I built mine up.

When the flaps are closed, the inside portion will be slightly visible. On the trailing edge, part will be extended slightly past the trailing edge of the upper wing. This is more pronounced closer towards the fuselage, and it tapers into the wing, the farther it goes out towards the tip.

It is you plane and build it to suit your thoughts. Do what makes you happy. That's what this hobby is about, is having fun.

I tried to make the build journal as complete as possible, just in case someone wanted to follow in my foot steps. I hope it is of good use to you. But to be quite honest, if you follow the instructions, this kit will almost fall together. It's a beautifully engineered model and looks fantastic once completed.

Speaking of fantastic... the aircraft #3 you mentioned is one of the ones I originally wanted to build. It was my favorite one out of all the Shoki aircraft I had seen.

By the looks of things, you are well on your way with this build. It looks very good too. I used a blue to begin with, and then toned it down just a little with some gray chalks... The RAF gray you used in conjunction with the blue looks very good.

I am anxiously awaiting the next installment.

and I sincerely appreciate you deciding to build this kit, and for posting it here. 🙂

Thank you my friend.

• Profile Photo

Hi there, Erik, great to have you along, thanks for your support.

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis, terrific to have you along as well, thank you very much for your detailed reply. I'm sure I'm not the only here who appreciates how much you put into this site. I've read and re-read your WIP, together with your headlines post and they are a great help. I did drill out the holes in the seat. The version of the kit I have includes covers for those holes in the cockpit sides, so, hopefully, I won't have that problem with filling them in.

• Profile Photo

Now about the finish, it's a NMF, and at first I thought I would get away with using my nearly full spraycan of Tamiya gloss aluminium, but then I kept admiring Louis' foil finish, and, well you can guess the rest... Unfortunately that product doesn't seem to be available here in China. However, I remembered there were a couple of posts a few years ago here on iModeller from a chap using kitchen foil, and for some reason it had stuck in my mind. For some reason we never heard from him again, and despite searching the A to Z index I can't find those articles now. Anyway, this is my chosen route, and I tried sticking some foil to the undercarriage legs, but the glue I was using (PVA school glue) didn't work. I searched the web and found a product made by Microscale that was designed for the job, so I'm waiting for the postman. What I can't decide is the exact order to things in. I don't want to have to mask the foil after sticking it on. So should I use the kit decals for the white background for the red roundels, or, spray those areas white first, and then apply the foil. What do you guys think? Any help, comments, doubts, etc will be much appreciated. Stay safe everyone.

• Profile Photo

As for the "butterfly" flaps, as they are such a feature of this aircraft it seems a shame not to show them deployed, so that's what I'm planning to do. A couple of pictures to follow.

• Profile Photo

Here is the lower wing half showing the holes drilled out for the butterfly flaps.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

George (@chinesegeorge), my experience with metal foil are non-existing, apart from the self-adhesive kind. I think the drilled out holes will add a lot to the finished plane - very nice addition.