1/48 Arii Nakajima Ki-44 “Shoki” (Tojo)

Started by Jeremy Millan · 34 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 7 months ago:

This will be my 3rd build for the Empire of Japan group. I found this kit on eBay for $10 and I have to say I’m pretty impressed. The surface detail is quite nice with all the rivets and the molding looks nice too. Just a little bit of flash to clean up though. The interior is pretty basic but not much will be seen with the closed canopy. I’ll have to do some research on how to paint the interior, I know next to nothing about his plane. The instructions are in Japanese but I think I’ll manage. Also the kilt came with a nice illustration print out. I’m not not sure what paint scheme I’ll be doing yet as the decals look pretty old and yellow. I’ll probably make paint masks for the markings. Until next time. Cheers

5 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Jeremy!
    This is such a cool choice! I love Arii models, this one looking pretty good!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Nice choice, Jeremy!

• Profile Photo

Made a little progress on the Tojo. I’m also working on a Mustang and I have to say these Japanese planes are more enjoyable to work on for me. Less stress and easier to build I guess.

The cockpit is pretty plain but not much will be seen with the closed canopy. It also doesn’t look very accurate to a real Ki-44 cockpit. Nevertheless I drilled out the lightning holes in the seat and added some floor wiring with lead fly fishing wire. First time I tried this. Probably not 100% accurate though. The gauges on the IP are raised surface detail and I’m not sure how I’m going to paint them. I sprayed a custom mix of Tamiya paints for the interior. Next will be picking out details and some weathering.

5 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Some nice detail on that kit - should weather up nice!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 7 months ago:

I built one of these back in 1978... and I still have it to this very day. It was one of the few kits that survived from my childhood collection. I have it posted here on Imodeler. It looks like you are making some good progress.

• Profile Photo

That's a nice progress, Jeremy!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

And they're off. . . - nice start Jeremy (@jmillan)

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the comments guys.

Finished up the CP today. Not much detail and kind of bare looking but I did try a new technique to me called a “magic” wash. It’s an acrylic clear ( I used Windsor & Newton matte varnish) wash with a drop of Tamiya black and a little bit of water. You can also use Future or aqua gloss but that leaves a glossy finish. So I just brushed it on and let it dry. It leaves a nice little shadow around all the raised detail. So you don’t have to clear coat your model before or have to wipe away and excess wash. Works pretty well for the sidewalls of the fuselage.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I like this "wash" process, Jeremy!
    Thanks for sharing!

• Profile Photo
    Christopher C Tew said 3 years, 7 months ago:

I love these old Arii/Otaki kits, as the recessed riveting looks more like Nakajima's typical "skin" work than just panel lines. One problem with these kits, the Oscar, Frank, and this Tojo, is that they have suffered mold damage over the years, especially to the wings, where the knock-out pins have punched up into the mold metal. The excellent riveting makes this hard to repair.

Do be careful with the decals. Some are very, very slow to release from the backing paper, all are prone to cracking and fragmenting, and most don't do well with softening/setting solutions.

Continued good luck with your build, Jeremy.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Your Tojo is looking really sharp Jeremy. The "magic wash" you describe really brings out the best in the out of box cockpit. I use Windsor and Newton oil paints for most of my washes but have never used their matt varnish. I have a strict policy of acrylics only for airbrushing. Otaki had a great practice of using fine rivets for surface detail on their models - they will look very nice under a coat of paint. Sure saves a lot of work applying them with a tool (speaking from current experience on my Shiden Kai). Looking forward to further progress on your build.

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks for the comments guys. I need to get back on this build soon. The wings were slightly damaged from the sprue gate and also I don’t think I’ll be using the decals on this.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Jeremy (@jmillan), that sounds like a wash I might have to try. I have never used any in my cockpits so far, but this one seems to be manageable for me. Looking great!

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Back to work on the Tojo. Is anyone still building over here? Seems pretty dead. Any way got the fuselage and wings glued together and seems mostly cleaned up. Still need to glue the wing root but these gaps are going to need filling. Will probably need some styrene strips since the gaps look quite large. That will be a first for me. I think I’ll take a trip to hobby lobby tomorrow to look for some. I also took the liberty to open up the top vents on the cowling with some small files. Looks a lot better I think. Forgot to take a before photo. I think I’ll paint the engine in the mean time. Cheers

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.