1/48 Civil Ki-15 “Kamikaze-GO”

Started by John Healy · 44 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years ago:

This will be my second contribution to the Japanese group build. The record setting 1937 Tokyo-London “Kamikaze-Go”. The aircraft was a prototype Ki-15 recon aircraft and was purchased by the Asahi Shimbun Tokyo newspaper and flown to London as a publicity exercise for the coronation of King George VI. Construction starts tommorow and I’ll build it side by side with the A2N3.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years ago:

Incredible choice again, John. This is a brilliant piece of history that most (myself included) will never have heard of. Already the whole GB is benefitting from the diverse selections being made. I think the whole thing will be a real reference point for those looking to learn and build in the future.

On another note, I have just been building a very small ‘Okha’ by Finemolds. Very impressed with the engineering! Looking forward to seeing this one develop!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

What a choice, John! I go thumbs-up with Paul's @yellow10 comments. simply amazed.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

What a treat! I'm tuned in on this build.

• Profile Photo

I had a start at this one today. This is a high quality kit. So high, that it may in fact be the best molded and best engineered model that I’ve ever had the pleasure of working on. It’s a shame these aren’t available from my usual go-to retailers in the US and UK. I bought this one online from a Japanese ebayer for under $40 shipped last year. The only criticism I can muster for this model so far is the fact that it doesn’t offer an open canopy option to show off the nicely detailed cockpits. Anyways, here’s where we are after a morning’s worth of work.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

@j-healy, John, I surfed the net, and found a page from a firm in Warzaw, Poland, Hinomaru Hobby Kits, that state that they import FineMolds kits. They have this one at 42.35 euro on their page called hhkits dot com.
    Now, it looks like it is indeed a really fine kit from your pictures. Looking forward to this journey.

• Profile Photo

Looking great, John @j-healy! Many spatted beauties in this GB!
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 4 years ago:

Looking forward to this

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 4 years ago:

John, Just finished one, a C5M version. Words to the wise:

Like you bought up, do not spend too much time on the interior. While nicely done, you can't see squat even with the canopy off. With it, all that can be seen is the machine gun.

The decals. VERY delicate, do not use Solvaset. Even " Mr Mark Softer" melted them easily. You have a bigger problem as your civil version I'm sure depends heavily on decals. Then when I applied the tailcodes, without any solvent, they silvered like a sonofagun. I would try the Microscale setup first if you have it. Use caution.

On a positive note Those Dead design masks worked really well correctly sized, stuck well, no residue.

That is a really nice looking aeroplane, hope it works out, look forward to seeing it.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Bill!

• Profile Photo

I did a little interior painting on this one today.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

You have definitely made some good progress John. Looks great !

• Profile Photo

Painted and details attached to the interior. I’ll assemble this and have a complete airframe by tommorow. I chopped up some British belts for this one too. Bill Koppos is right, almost none of this will be visible when the plane is done.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 4 years ago:

Innards look real nice

• Profile Photo

Great work at the interior, John!