1/48 Fine Molds Ki-10 ”Perry” Biplane

Started by Louis Gardner · 51 · 11 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Great progress here Louis (@lgardner). If I may; Trousers seem to be a hallmark of the era this nice bipe is from. Just saying. No pressure. Not at all.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looks great, Louis. Excellent step by step documentation of this project.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 3 months ago:

George, @blackadder57
    Thanks for the tips with how to use the saws. I will be getting a set of these in the very near future. They seem to be a handy tool to have in the arsenal. I too think this is the easiest biplane for building, and having a single overall exterior color doesn't hurt, as that keeps things simple too. So far this has been an absolute joy to build. If you're looking for something that's a relaxing build, and you want something just a little bit different, (and a biplane to boot), this is it.

Spiros, @fiveten
    Tonight it received a nice coat of my custom mixed paint. It looks even better now. I'll let it set up overnight, and then if I have some spare time tomorrow, I'll try my best to install the upper wing. This kit is just flying together... no pun intended. 😉

Erik, @airbum
    I took your recommendations, and added the wheel trousers. I agree with you, this seems to be a hallmark of the aircraft from this era. It looks much better too. Thanks for the input.

John, @j-healy
    Thank you for the compliments about this build journal. I try to inform the readers with the good, the bad and the ugly... I am watching your "Claude" as it transforms into a splendid model. Thanks again for starting yet another build for this Empire of Japan group.

Thanks gentlemen for the kind words of encouragement. I just finished spraying the Light Gray Green on, and now it's drying. Stay tuned for the next installment, and I'll explain.

Stay safe and I hope that you all have a Merry Christmas. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Here's the results of tonight's progress.

Taking Erik's @airbum
    recommendations for installing the wheel trousers, (pants, spats, or whatever you want to call them), I assembled them and glued them in place. I have to admit, I really like this choice. 🙂

I wanted to show you how nice the liquefied styrene sands down. Here are the previous joints where it was applied. The this is slick, smooth as the proverbial... 😉 This is the underside rear portion of the fuselage.

You can see how it polishes up very well too, after a few moments of sanding with 800 grit wet or dry sand paper. This is the turtle deck behind the pilot's seat.

The canopy was masked off and painted. Prior to spraying the Light Gray Green, I painted the canopy frames using German Luftwaffe uniform Feld Grau. This should give it the illusion the frames were painted the same color as rest of the interior. There's a distinct possibility these windscreen frames were painted black on the inside...

I flipped the upper wing over and painted the underside next... Here you can see it is drying. The top side will hopefully get sprayed tomorrow, if I have any spare time available.

The upper side of the model was sprayed next. I wanted to be able to move it around as I was painting it, so I pulled out an old TV stand I had saved just for this purpose. I was inspired by a recent article in the headline section. It worked like a charm... This allowed me to cover all the angles without having to touch the model. This is a plus when the paint is wet...

After I allowed the plane to dry a little while, I carefully flipped it back onto the wing struts. This gave me full access to the underneath side. I continued on with the painting process, and this is how it looks now.

It's now officially Christmas here ! I hope that you all have been good, and that Santa brings you some nice presents. But we should remember the reason for the season too... God bless you all, and I hope you have a safe and Merry Christmas with your friends and family. This year has been a mixture of good and bad. Lets hope that next year is better.

As always, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Louis @lgardner, what a great progress! Your custom mix looks amazing and this sweet and totally cool biplane is coming together so quickly! It might be a nice kit, it is definitely a challenging kit, but you make, as usual, difficult things look easy! Moreover, your building steps are so well documented that is easy for us to follow along. Thanks for this!

Love the "turntable" stand, it's so great getting inspired by fellows and improvise "our style".

Looking forward to your progress!

Merry Christmas, my friend!

• Profile Photo

Louis, this one is coming along so well - great stuff! I do by the way think that to qualify as trousers or Pants they have to have a fairing all the way to the wing/fuselage? Just a thought that popped up here. No matter what we call them they do indeed make it look very nice and places it in the years where it was designed. Thank you for sharing this nice bipe.

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    Thank you for the kind words, and I included a picture or two of the old TV stand that I am now using as a turntable in tonight's episode... This kit has to be one of the easiest ones I have had the opportunity to build. I also included a few close up photos showing just how nice the liquefied styrene looks after the paint was applied. It's invisible, and you wouldn't know it was there, as the fuselage looks like a one piece molded part.

Merry Christmas to you too, and I hope you had a wonderful day with your family.

Erik, @airbum
    This one is almost completed now, and I thank you for the suggestion to add the wheel covers. I honestly don't know what the "official" requirements would be to classify them as pants, trousers, or spats... One thing for certain is they do enhance the looks of the plane a lot.
    Once I add the decals and the rigging, it will be done. Like I mentioned to Spiros, this is one of the easiest kits I have done in a long time.

Please follow along and I'll post up the next installment in a few.

Merry Christmas my friends !

• Profile Photo

Today I made some significant progress. Please follow along and I'll explain.

I painted the upper surface of the top wing.

There were a few places on the rest of the plane where the paint was thin, and the plastic was showing through to the surface. So the plane got a little touching up work too.

Here's the turntable that I occasionally use for painting. It's nothing more than an old TV stand that I repurposed. The base of it with the swivel was what I needed, so I removed the upper shelving from it, and just like that... Presto ! I have a nice good sized turntable that I can use to paint almost anything on.

Here is how the liquefied styrene looks, once it was sanded down and painted. The "turtle deck" area behind the cockpit is exceptionally smooth and blemish free now.

The area along the lower rear portion of the fuselage turned out equally as nice.

The telescopic gun sight and wind screen was added.

Here you can see how nice the plastic shim turned out on top of the engine. It now looks as if it is a single panel line. It worked out perfectly, and I'm very pleased with the results.

Then it was time to add the upper wing. It fit perfectly, and this is the easiest biplane I have ever built, especially when it deals with the struts. Kudos go out to the Fine Molds team, especially here.

The upper wing really adds to the overall look of this plane.

This reminds me of a Fiat CR-32 in more ways than one...

Here you can see how good the wheel spats look now they have been installed and painted. Thank you Erik for sharing your thoughts about this.

Previously I had painted the back of the propeller, and added foil to the front side, so now it was time to glue it onto the spinner. Once it was dry, I simply pressed the prop shaft into the poly cap. Here's how it looks once installed.

The front sides of these props were kept highly polished. I attempted to replicate this feature by using foil. I am also very pleased with how this turned out. The lighting doesn't do the propeller any justice. This think really "pops" in person, and looks just like a polished propeller.

I still have to install the exhaust openings. The instructions call for them to be painted using Flat Black. So I prepped these parts and sprayed them. Once they dry, I will add them next.

I have a Tamiya F4U that's almost done, but it was in need of having the walkways and upper coaming on the instrument panel painted Flat Black, I took a little bit of time to mask these areas off too. They were painted at the same time. This Corsair is also just about finished. I would like to complete both of these models before the year ends.

Here's a little comparison to show you how big (or small) this Ki-10 is when placed next to a F4U Corsair.

I have to install the decals, and exhaust openings, then it will need some rigging work done. This one is getting closer, and it has gone together very fast. It's been a fun plane to build.

I hope that everyone had a wonderful holiday today, if you celebrate Christmas.

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

What a great progress, Louis @lgardner. This beauty is converging towards finishing at a quick and steady pace. Looks a lot better with the spats, I agree too!
    The attachment of the top wing brought this biplane to all its glory and you are right about the resemblance to the CR.32.
    The decals will look amazing on it.
    Looking forward to it, my friend!

• Profile Photo

That is one fast-track plane! Even with a single color it is filled with interest for the eye with all those wings and things. Gonna be even nicer with the final additions. Now, I really have to get me a turning TV stand table thingey. . . .

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends for the kind words. I have been busy with a lot of stuff lately and I have not had much time for building models. However I have made a little bit of progress on the decals for the Ki-10.
    Here’s what it looked like after I started adding the decals. I wanted to position the biggest ones first, so I knew that the smaller ones would fit later.

There are multiple decals that are applied to the fuselage and rudder / fin assembly. They fit very well and they seem to behaving very good too. This next picture shows the tail markings of 1st LT Iworki Sakai. This one is a plane that flew in China during 1938.

There are still a lot of tiny decals that represent the stencil markings. They are going to take a little time to get on properly. Once the decals are completed I’ll give it a sealer coat of clear to protect them.

Then it’s time to add the rigging.

Speaking of another Sakai, I am going to be building up one of Saburo Sakai’s Zeros in the very near future. Over the years I have been collecting information about several different planes that he flew. There’s no better time to build up one than now. It’s a model that I have wanted to do for years.

As always comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Clean, Louis! I like this one a lot.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John. @j-healy

This one is going to be a very clean build with minimal dirt and grime added. At this point in the War, they look to be in almost pristine condition. Shortly afterwards they started getting the multi colored green and brown camouflaged paints added to the upper surfaces. Then is when they started showing some signs of use. Overall, I believe they were very well maintained at this point.

• Profile Photo

Good news ! All of the little decals are now completed.

On each of the struts, there is a decal that shows the airframe number... This is something that was done with WW1 Fokker aircraft too... I'm sure there are many other like it, but this one is mine... Wait a minute. That's part a line from the movie Full Metal Jacket. 😉 This is my rifle, this is my gun ! Flashbacks of my basic training.

Here are the decals on the outer N struts. The other side is just like this, only it is a reverse or mirror image.

The inner cabane struts are numbered...on both sides. These decals are specific to each place. They are oriented in a manner to take in account the angle of the strut it is assigned to. The N struts and inner cabanes have a forward rake on the most forward strut, and the letters / numbers are offset to accommodate this. The rear strut also has an offset as well. Same thing goes for the landing gear struts. Look close and you will see what I'm talking about. A lot of thought went into the design of this kit. It's an absolute joy to build and a little jewel.

I'll add the exhaust after the clear coat is done. They simply press in place. The fit is that good.

The landing gear struts and wheel pants also have their own unique strut decals.

There are some pretty cool little decals and a lifting point decal is also included. Check out the aircraft nomenclature / data panel stencil.

There are some other small decals near the cockpit upper decking... Look how smooth the liquefied styrene ended up here. Perfect ! I'm so happy with this little kit. Now I wish I had bought two of these. I would paint the other one up in the camouflaged version I talked about earlier.

I mixed up a little blue paint to match the fuselage and tail stripes. I brush painted the tip of the spinner using the blue. It isn't an exact match, but it's pretty darn close...close enough for me. I also added the propeller warning decals. In the process, I managed to create a few small wrinkles in the foil covering on the prop blades. This will press out and become invisible again. I'll do that before I install the prop on the final time. Foil is the best way to replicate a highly polished propeller. Nothing else comes close in my opinion.

So now it is ready for a coat of clear to act as a sealer for the decals... Then it's off to the rigging shop we go.

I can not say too many good things about this model. It has been an absolute joy to build, and I'm surprised we don't see more of them constructed.

Thanks for stopping by, and as always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

Louis @lgardner, what a nice decalling job! Looks perfect! I always feel so much satisfied upon finishing decal jobs like this, with many small decals, requiring a lot of quality time, that ii adds so much to the final looks.
    Great looks on the props too and nice use of liquefied styrene.
    Well done, my friend!
    Looking forward to this beauty's progress!