1/48 FineMolds J8M ”Shusui”

Started by Michael Turner · 20 · 2 years ago · 1/48, finemolds, J8M, Shusui
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 years ago:

I bought this kit during the post Christmas sales with money I was given by my bother-in-law as a Christmas gift - so this counts as a Christmas present.

I started it a s a quick build and got this far within a few days, but the hot summer weather and a bit of 1:1 scale modelling (rendering and painting my brick veneer house) has got in the way of completing it.

It is a very nice kit and this boxing includes a flexible 3D seat harness, although this is perhaps a bit too thick.
    Unfortunately I've broken off the antenna mast, so I'll have to try and glue it back on neatly.
    I just need to mask the main canopy for painting...

I plan to do an over-all orange aircraft.

As an aside, I purchased a Dragon Me-163 as a swap meet last Sunday.
    The kit has been started, mostly some interior painting and a few parts assembled, but all the parts are there.
    So, I plan to build it as the all red aircraft flown by Wolfgang Spate for the types combat debut.
    I think they will make a nice pair.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Looks like a very nice kit. Great that you decided to share it here, and now I will be sitting here, waiting for the orange 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

What an amazing entry, my friend @michaelt!
    I have always thought the ”Shusui” to be an iconic figure of The Empire of Japan's aircraft, particularly in the orange scheme!
    You 've done a wonderful job so far (well, your usual excellent job!).
    Looking forward to see this beauty proceeding!
    Will look amazing by the red Komet!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

That's looking very good Michael. Planes of Fame has what I think is the only J8M in the world. Ed Maloney found it on the trash heap at the old NAS over by San Pedro back in 1946 - it was actually the first World War II airplane he collected.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 years ago:

G'day Tom (@tcinla),
    The kit comes with four schemes.

1. The first prototype shown on the box lid (orange scheme 1) and which crashed on its first flight
    2. The Planes of Fame aircraft (orange scheme 2)
    3. A hypothetical IJN aircraft (IJN green/grey)
    4. A hypothetical IJAAF aircraft - Ki-200 - (IJAAF green/grey)

There is a second J8M that was discovered in a cave in the 1960s and restored and is on display at the Mitsubishi Heavy Industry Museum in a light green/grey scheme. Only the fuselage is original.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

@michaelt - Than that makes the Planes of Fame J8M the only completely-original example left. Like their Zero.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years ago:

Michael, @michaelt
    This is a great addition to our Empire of Japan group...Thank you for starting the build journal. Please keep us informed about how this kit builds. I have been looking at getting one of these models. It would look very good sitting next to the Kikka jet I built a little while ago. I'll bet yours will look even better sitting next to your all red Me-163.

I'll be looking forward to the next update. If it's anything like what you did with the trio of 262's, then this one is going to be a good one to follow.

Seeing an orange Japanese plane makes me want to build up my Fine Molds A7M Reppu "Sam", or the Otaki "Willow" biplane trainer... Then I have an old Nichimo "Spruce" biplane and all of them have the orange color as an option. The nice thing is that these are all in 1/48.

Thanks again. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Well, it is done.
    This is the 2nd prototype J8M.
    Decals are confined to national insignia and serial block.
    Photos of the captured aircraft in the US show a white A25 on the rear starboard fuselage and this is provided on the decal sheet. However, my guess is that this was added by the Americans.
    If I'm wrong, I can add it later.

I thought an essentially monotone scheme would be easy, but I hade a few problems.
    I first painted the orange and masked off for the silver portion.
    This I first painted gloss black and then SMS Aluminium.
    The problem was that this tended to spray in spurts or not at all, giving a uneven finish in places.
    I sanded areas back and re-sprayed, but with the same issue.
    I need to practice this for future builds.
    The rear section was painted SMS Silver as pictures of the aircraft show this to be a little brighter, but there is little or no contrast between the two.
    Then when I unmasked I found that the gloss H24 Orange Yellow was marked by the Tamiya tape, even to the point of what looked like a little glue residue in a couple of places.
    So, I had to lightly sand/rub down these areas as well as a bit of re-spraying.
    However, brushing on a clear gloss coat fixed this. (Vallejo Polyurethane Gloss Varnish - I tried spraying this once before, but it wouldn't spray.)
    It isn't a competition piece, but it will brighten up the shelf.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 11 months ago:

cockpit looks nice!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

It could very easily be a competition piece, my friend @michaelt!

Your Shushui looks wonderful, you tackled the challenging bright scheme in excellency!

Let me sincerely thank you for complering this nice entry of this quite rarely seen model in our ever growing and quality oozing Empire of Japan GB!

Congratulations on your Shushui, and I wholeheartedly encourage you to further enrich our EoJ GB, by adding yet another entry!

• Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Very cool! The cockpit green works strangely well with the orange. Really smart-looking build.
    I may need to get me one of those! I have some ideas of doing a bunch of late-war rocket and jet prototypes. I'm starting by converting a Hobbycraft La-7 to an La-7R. Should be fun. I also have an old Kondor He 178 kit (which will be less fun!).

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Michael, @michaelt
    This looks magnificent. The orange color really pops... I'll bet it would look very nice sitting next to a red Me-163 😉

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Lis (@lis).
    I know where Poland is...

• Profile Photo

G'day Spiros (@fiveten),
    Sadly, no it isn't a competition quality build - not unless they stand 1.5 m away.
    I'm sorely tempted to build something else - I do have a Ki-45 - but I have too many projects on the go or planned for this year.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Ronnie (@skyraider3d),
    Funnily enough, the first Japanese kit I built back in the '70s was the old Matchbox 1/72 scale Zero.
    Knowing next to nothing about Japanese (or any other) camouflage nor model paints, I looked at the schematic on the back and saw a lime green over orange scheme and thought 'Cool!'.
    So, that is how I painted it!